Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I made the mistake of listening to you guys about how great this Harbor Freight 2 HP dust collector is....I am one pissed off woodworker...this thing is a piece of crap...I just basically wasted $400 dollars, $200 for the dust collector and another $200 for the pvc pipe and various connectors. Hell my 30 yrs old wet/dry shop vac stumps the hell out off the anemic dust collector. This thing couldn't suck a golf ball off ICE from one foot away. So anyone thinking about getting this piece of crap dust collector, forget it, unless you want to do dust collection from 3 inches off the end of the hose, because it won't do much beyond that...

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
Ok so I made the mistake of listening to you guys about how great this Harbor Freight 2 HP dust collector is....I am one pissed off woodworker...this thing is a piece of crap...I just basically wasted $400 dollars, $200 for the dust collector and another $200 for the pvc pipe and various connectors. Hell my 30 yrs old wet/dry shop vac stumps the hell out off the anemic dust collector. This thing couldn't suck a golf ball off ICE from one foot away. So anyone thinking about getting this piece of crap dust collector, forget it, unless you want to do dust collection from 3 inches off the end of the hose, because it won't do much beyond that...
Well Mr Pissed Off, before you go off on everyone that has them and recommended it how about a little more info.

Duct size, length of run, how many elbows and what kind as well as what size connectors etc.

What are you trying to use it to do? Table saw, planer etc.

You are aware that a dust collector is low velocity and high volume where as a Shop Vac is High velocity and low volume right?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Instead of immediately jumping on here and blaming everyone for a problem you have, why not try posting the issue first to see if you are doing something wrong? It could be an easy fix for all you know. Sorry but I'm going to trust the members who have posted constructive comments about a machine over someone just blaming everyone else for something they themselves may have done wrong.

You catch more bees with honey right? For the record, I wasn't one of the members who recommended it because I don't have one.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
captainawesome said:
Instead of immediately jumping on here and blaming everyone for a problem you have, why not try posting the issue first to see if you are doing something wrong? It could be an easy fix for all you know. Sorry but I'm going to trust the members who have posted constructive comments about a machine over someone just blaming everyone else for something they themselves may have done wrong. You catch more bees with honey right? For the record, I wasn't one of the members who recommended it because I don't have one.
Or it could be one of those.....you get what you paid for kinda things.
Just saying!!!

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
With as many people that have them, and like them, I think something's wrong with yours. Someone else reported once that theirs shipped with the set screw on the impeller shaft loose, which caused the same problem. They tightened the screw and it worked as advertised.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I as well as hundreds of others have and love our Harbor Freight Dust Collectors. Yes there are better ones out there but for more than double the price.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With as many people that have them, and like them, I think something's wrong with yours. Someone else reported once that theirs shipped with the set screw on the impeller shaft loose, which caused the same problem. They tightened the screw and it worked as advertised.
Set screw, hadn't heard of that, but I'm interested, I'll check. Has to be something, because this thing has zero suction...and yes I'll a little pissed off about it, sorry if it offends someone. But at least this gives me hope...as per rrbrown, it doesn't matter what I have it hooked up too, just the off the "Y" from the unit there is no suction beyond one foot away, which doesn't get any better at longer runs, regardless, certainly not 1500 cfm advertised.

·
where's my table saw?
28,579 Posts
Does it have an impeller?

Maybe the impeller/fan is missing? Look or feel inside, power off of course.

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
Set screw, hadn't heard of that, but I'm interested, I'll check. Has to be something, because this thing has zero suction...and yes I'll a little pissed off about it, sorry if it offends someone. But at least this gives me hope...as per rrbrown, it doesn't matter what I have it hooked up too, just the off the "Y" from the unit there is no suction beyond one foot away, which doesn't get any better at longer runs, regardless, certainly not 1500 cfm advertised.
You know You could have bought any brand and had one that came broken. My point is you come on here upset or not there is no need to be an ASS. No one here made it, packed it or lied about liking it so why take your frustrations out on them.

Did you buy it mail order or in a retail store? You should have called them with your attitude instead of taking it out on everyone else. We would have gave a crap more had you been nice or at least reasonable.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wasn't blaming any one, I was warning every one, not to buy this....also wasn't looking for help...jury is still out on whether the one suggestion I got will help, but is was a fact I bought on the recommendation of people on this site, so they do bear some responsibility, and should be called out if this is junk, just pointing it out.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
I Wasn't blaming any one, I was warning every one, not to buy this....

Ok so I made the mistake of listening to you guys about how great this Harbor Freight 2 HP dust collector is..

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
But your instantly assuming its junk, instead of assembled or manufactured wrong. Why would everyone recommend them if they were garbage?? Have you tried diving into the problem at all? First thing I'd do is remove the impeller cover and check if it's tight on the shaft....and that no packing material ended up in there....let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Wasn't blaming any one, I was warning every one, not to buy this....also wasn't looking for help...jury is still out on whether the one suggestion I got will help, but is was a fact I bought on the recommendation of people on this site, so they do bear some responsibility, and should be called out if this is junk, just pointing it out.
Hey Navy, if you don't like the FREE advice that honest people give you on this forum than feel FREE to leave at any time. No one here is responsible for your problems. Be a man why don't you and own up to your own decision to buy the unit. I'll stop before resulting to name calling.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
.... certainly not 1500 cfm advertised.
For the sake of clarity, it never has and never will deliver the stated 1500 CFM....best case scenario could be half that, but the bottom line is that most find it to have enough suction to meet their needs. HF's return policy is pretty good....exchange it for one that works.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK I have obviously pissed every one off here, which wasn't my intent, I was more then pissed off to accommodate every one. Yes it is my problem, yes I bought it, I'll deal with it...so I leave you with a joke to put every one back in a good mood, which kinda mimics this deal where I say one thing, but it gets heard another way..........

A male patient is lying in bed in the hospital, wearing an oxygen mask over his mouth and nose. A young student nurse appears and gives him a partial sponge bath.

"Nurse,"' he mumbles from behind the mask, "are my testicles black?"

Embarrassed, the young nurse replies, "I don't know, Sir. I'm only here to wash your upper body and feet."

He struggles to ask again, "Nurse, please check for me. Are my testicles black?"

Concerned that he might elevate his blood pressure and heart rate from worrying about his testicles, she overcomes her embarrassment and pulls back the covers. She raises his gown, holds his manhood in one hand and his testicles gently in the other.

She looks very closely and says, "There's nothing wrong with them, Sir. They look fine."

The man slowly pulls off his oxygen mask, smiles at her, and says very slowly, "Thank you very much. That was wonderful. Now listen very, very closely:

Are - my - test - results - back?".....:laughing:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I have the HF dust collector (yep--this isn't step therapy).
I had one and it didn't work--called the store--took it back, replaced it with another (love that warranty) that was 2 yrs ago.
Whenever mine doesn't perform well I:
-check the blast gates
-check the hoses
-check the inline collector-a really good thing to get chips etc so they don't hit the impeller
-look for any other air leak

I have an attachment to vacuum the floor if I want with it--works great, but fills my collector fast.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
why not take the junk back and stay away from harbor freight, i don't go their and friends go back more than one for the same dam thing , they will learn if it has a cord don't buy it, get the $200 back , now go buy a delta or another good one and use the pipe's that are their nothing is lost their ?? like i said stay away from harbor freight, now their may be some useful things their but i am not interested in them, take to many trips to find it my 2 cent's

1 - 20 of 60 Posts