Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already own 4, 1/2" pipe clamps and a couple of different size pipes for those. But I was wondering how important 3/4" clamps are? I have caught my self needing a couple more clamps lately, so was looking at buying a couple more then the question came to me do I need 3/4". I just find it hard to believe I could bend 1/2" pipe. Thanks

Eric Williams

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
It's possible to bend ½" pipe, but invariably with good fitting joints, the clamp pressure shouldn't need to be that much. When I started out all my clamps were pipe clamps with both ½" and ¾" pipes. I do have some really long pipes, or you can thread the ends and use a threaded sleeve to join them.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Anguspapa said:
I already own 4, 1/2" pipe clamps and a couple of different size pipes for those. But I was wondering how important 3/4" clamps are? I have caught my self needing a couple more clamps lately, so was looking at buying a couple more then the question came to me do I need 3/4". I just find it hard to believe I could bend 1/2" pipe. Thanks

Eric Williams
The 3/4" style have a better screw assembly and operate so much better.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Registered
12,608 Posts

Eric Williams
All I own are 1/2" pipe clamps. If you are bending those then you are probably tightening the clamp too much.

George

·
Registered
13 Posts
All I have are 3/4" clamps. I started out with 6 foot lengths for a project I was doing and the 3/4" was much sturdier than 1/2" The costs difference isn't that much so I just kept adding more 3/4" pipes of various sizes. The 1/2" pipes would probably be fine for short lengths but if you plan on using long lengths of pipe (like 6 feet) I would use 3/4"

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dfox52 said:
All I have are 3/4" clamps. I started out with 6 foot lengths for a project I was doing and the 3/4" was much sturdier than 1/2" The costs difference isn't that much so I just kept adding more 3/4" pipes of various sizes. The 1/2" pipes would probably be fine for short lengths but if you plan on using long lengths of pipe (like 6 feet) I would use 3/4"
At this point everything I do is small, I own 4 clamps, and for each of those I own a 2' and 3' peace of pipe ( threaded only on one side, I'm a cheap skate). So after everyone's help I think I'm going to start get 3/4" clamps. Thanks

Eric Williams

·
Super Moderator
4,373 Posts
All I have is 1/2" clamps. Lots of them. The only advantage a 3/4" clamp has it slightly taller jaws.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Leo G said:
All I have is 1/2" clamps. Lots of them. The only advantage a 3/4" clamp has it slightly taller jaws.
And a far better crank.

Al

·
Super Moderator
4,373 Posts
And a far better crank.

Al

I consider the 1/2" crank better. The 3/4" is fixed and when you put clamps close together they knock and you can't continue to turn them. With the 1/2" they are the slide through and you can put them side by side and touching and still crank them.

This works when you are trying to balance the panel by putting a clamp on top and bottom at the end of the board.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Leo G said:
I consider the 1/2" crank better. The 3/4" is fixed and when you put clamps close together they knock and you can't continue to turn them. With the 1/2" they are the slide through and you can put them side by side and touching and still crank them.

This works when you are trying to balance the panel by putting a clamp on top and bottom at the end of the board.
Well that is something to consider.

Al

·
Registered
114 Posts
pipe clamps

I prefer 3/4 inch pipes , but I do have some 1/2 also. I always alternate sides of the glue up for either size, just in case there is any flexing of the pipe, there will be an opposing flex from the other side to help keep things square.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts