Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all. We have 2 Afghan or Eldarica pines that are dying probably due to a fungus helped along by our extremely wet weather.

We will probably have professional tree contractors take them down due to their proximity to power lines and fences.

Is there any use for the wood or any reason why we would want to keep it?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I don't think I have ever heard of these kind of pines, but I would probably see if maybe a saw mill would know whether they are worth keeping or not. There are a couple of guys here who operate saw mills, they might know.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus2/factsheet.cfm?ID=926

If they are big, I am an advocate of having them sawn. I don't think they are anything special, just another pine, but the lumber may come in handy for something. I am from well north of you so I am not familiar with that species, but it looks like a knotty pine from the link I added above. It would not make any clear boards, but maybe you have a use for knotty pine in another way. Interior paneling is one we use knotty white pine for up here, pretty stuff really.

·
Registered
55 Posts
At the very least you might build a fence out of it. Remember anything you use for serious wood work is going to have to dry first. That's potentially years of storage. If you have someone doing small time milling you might be able to get a deal. There's a small saw mill in my area that will give you 1/2 the lumber keep 1/2 and not charge you anything. Can't argue much with free wood!

·
Registered
135 Posts
If not good for furniture, then it will come in handy for 2x's. 80% of the pine I get given to me gets cut up into construction lumber.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Unfortunately, down here in South Texas, there are not a lot of sawmills. One option we are considering is to have the tree chipped and mulched. That way I can at least use the mulch.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
. . . Unfortunately, down here in South Texas, there are not a lot of sawmills. . . . . .
Call any of the 3 or 4 largest bandsaw mill manufacturers and give them your zip code. You will be shocked. And then they will only give you conatct info to those who have agreed to talk and give the company free demos. That doesn't count the guys like me who have been asked and said no.

That's also not counting the "small" sawmill companies that have sold mills in your area that do not even advertise. Nor the DIY builders. Just start asking around a little.

Start looking under every rock. Sawmills are everywhere. Exactly opposite of what most people "see".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts