Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone - I am beginning to plan out a custom office. The office desk, cabinets, and such ideally will look like Pottery Barn - Bedford collection. Luckily for me, their website explains exactly how they finish the furniture:

"COMPOSITION & CONSTRUCTION

Pine veneer over MDF (medium density fiberboard). MDF is known for its strength and stability. It won't crack, and finishes adhere well to it, which results in a smooth end coat. Joints have 90-degree angles and are glued and nailed. Smoothly painted with lacquer sealant. Finished on all sides. The aniline-dyed black finish is a rich stain which allows visibility of the wood grain. Also available in Mahogany and Antique White (a solid color finish). A 10-step application by hand of either high-gloss paint or high-gloss stain to the frame, sides and interiors, followed by a clear lacquer topcoat applies to all models of this bookcase. The aniline-dyed-black model is distressed by having hand-sanded edges, and hand-rubbed to reveal the wood grain underneath."

I have two questions based off that information:

1. Can anyone recommend a place to purchase pine veneer in Minnesota, or from the web?

2. Should I veneer the MDF, and then cut it to size. Or should I cut the cabinet and desk pieces and then veneer them individually?

·
Registered
979 Posts
I've never seen pine veneer, but then I've never looked for it either. If you're after a natural pine finish than I guess that's what you'll need, otherwise like mentioned, a decent cabinet grade ply will work. And be less labor.

·
Registered
227 Posts
cut for looks

If you cut parts, then put on the veneer for parts you will get the real wood look.
Good day everyone - I am beginning to plan out a custom office. The office desk, cabinets, and such ideally will look lik e Pottery Barn - Bedford collection. Luckily for me, their website ex
plains exactly how they finish the furniture:

"COMPOSITION & CONSTRUCTION

Pine veneer over MDF (medium density fiberboard). MDF is known for its strength and stability. It won't crack, and finishes adhere well to it, which results in a smooth end coat. Joints have 90-degree angles and are glued and nailed. Smoothly painted with lacquer sealant. Finished on all sides. The aniline-dyed black finish is a rich stain which allows visibility of the wood grain. Also available in Mahogany and Antique White (a solid color finish). A 10-step application by hand of either high-gloss paint or high-gloss stain to the frame, sides and interiors, followed by a clear lacquer topcoat applies to all models of this bookcase. The aniline-dyed-black model is distressed by having hand-sanded edges, and hand-rubbed to reveal the wood grain underneath."

I have two questions based off that information:

1. Can anyone recommend a place to purchase pine veneer in Minnesota, or from the web?

2. Should I veneer the MDF, and then cut it to size. Or should I cut the cabinet and desk pieces and then veneer them individually?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts