Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple months ago, I posted a thread asking if pine was durable enough for a bookshelf. Well, thanks to the tips from everyone here, it's completed and moved in! (Except I ran out of shelf brackets, so the two very top shelves are sitting next to it while I wait on them, haha!)

Did it come out absolutely perfect? Far from it. I had a number of comical mishaps at virtually every stage of construction. But I was able to find solutions and get it built more or less according to plan. I got a lot of practice cutting dadoes, mortise & tenons, planing technique, etc. I'm a lot more confident about other ideas as well; things that seemed like "maybe someday" are now filed under "I could probably do that".

So thanks to everyone who gave tips and encouragement! And we still have random piles of books all over the house, so time to build the next one, bigger and better. :cool:

Property Bookcase Shelf Book Sun hat

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
A couple months ago, I posted a thread asking if pine was durable enough for a bookshelf. Well, thanks to the tips from everyone here, it's completed and moved in! (Except I ran out of shelf brackets, so the two very top shelves are sitting next to it while I wait on them, haha!)

Did it come out absolutely perfect? Far from it. I had a number of comical mishaps at virtually every stage of construction. But I was able to find solutions and get it built more or less according to plan. I got a lot of practice cutting dadoes, mortise & tenons, planing technique, etc. I'm a lot more confident about other ideas as well; things that seemed like "maybe someday" are now filed under "I could probably do that".

So thanks to everyone who gave tips and encouragement! And we still have random piles of books all over the house, so time to build the next one, bigger and better. :cool:

View attachment 442791
Came out great. Look at it with pride.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
nice work on that bookcase!

i grew up with lots of books, as did my children and now their children.
about displaying books, pull all your books towards the front of the shelf
it'll even out all the bindings and make the titles easier to read than way back, especially on the bottom shelves
this is one of my bookcases in the office, nothing staged, i just turned around and took a picture
plus it gives you a little stash place behind the books 😂

Furniture Bookcase Shelf Shelving Wood

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice work on that bookcase!

i grew up with lots of books, as did my children and now their children.
about displaying books, pull all your books towards the front of the shelf
it'll even out all the bindings and make the titles easier to read than way back, especially on the bottom shelves
this is one of my bookcases in the office, nothing staged, i just turned around and took a picture
plus it gives you a little stash place behind the books 😂

View attachment 442812
Looks good! The best wall treatment is truly a bookshelf full of good books :cool:
I'll probably add some trim like that when I build version 2.0.

·
Registered
169 Posts

View attachment 442791
Looks great. Nice work!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts