Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new 23 ga pin nailer having never used one before. I am using it for trim work on an oak bookcase. I am mothering the corners if the trim pieces and when I try to pin nail through the miffed corner, the pin bends and comes through the face of the trim.

Granted, the pins and nailer came from HF. Is this a common problem and if so, what is the solution?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Funny, darn autocorrect on iPhone app. The corners are mitered, not mothered although they are miffed from the pins.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. Is this an issue with hardwood like red oak, or an issue with crappy pins from harbor freight?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I've had issues with Paslode pneumatic finish nails bending in oak and the end poking out right back at me.
It's usually the gauge of the nail, not the quality.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Try name brand pins. I have that pin nailer and it works fine, but I read the key is to get good pins.

However, I think any nailer can do weird things in some situations.

Bill

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, I just got back from HD with a new Porter Cable pin nailer and pins. What a difference! No more issues with pins bending. Once again, I have sworn off tools from Harbor Freight - although I do like the mini hammer I bought there for $3.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Wow, I just got back from HD with a new Porter Cable pin nailer and pins. What a difference! No more issues with pins bending. Once again, I have sworn off tools from Harbor Freight - although I do like the mini hammer I bought there for $3.
I had the HF pin nail but it arrived DOA so I returned it but kept the 5/8" pins. I picked up the Porter Cable PN100 and haven't had any problems with the HF pins. Occasionally they will take a U-turn on me, usually with longer pins in plywood. Those pins are so small, sometimes they will hit a hard spot or something in the wood and wander. Hasn't been a big issue but will happen. :smile:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spoke too soon. The PC pins still bend but not as often. Anyone figure out a way to deal with the pins that bend and poke through the good surface of the wood? The pliers just don't work on them.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I spoke too soon. The PC pins still bend but not as often. Anyone figure out a way to deal with the pins that bend and poke through the good surface of the wood? The pliers just don't work on them.
Vice grips and patience:huh:
Use the shortest pin that will do the job. Less chance of it coming all the way back through the good surface.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have the HF pin nailer too, but after reading many posts about the poor quality of the HF pins, I started out using name brand pins (Bostich I think, form Lowe's). Have not had any pins take any weird turns on me, yet. I have had my 18 ga and 16 ga nails take weird turns before, so I am sure the 23's will eventually.

Plus, the nailer has not had any jams or major issues. I thought it did just the other day when trying to adjust the magazine size for smaller pins, there turned out to be a single 1" pin left inside and I couldn't adjust the mag.

My only regrets with the HF have been the 1" limit on size. But when I do upgrade, the HF will still be in use for the smaller stuff.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I haven't had any issues with the Harbor Freight pins, at least no more than any of the others. I found a pretty good supplier out of eBay but shipping is so ridiculous I might just as well buy from Home Depot...IF... they happen to stock what I want which seems to be an iffy proposition.
I think if I were shopping for a gun today, I would take a hard look at the Hitachi.. Grex looks great but are priced right up with Festool stuff. Out of my neighborhood. :blink:

·
Registered
26,338 Posts
I think your biggest problem is the 23 ga. nails. That's kinda skinny for oak. I have 18 ga. nails fold from time to time so if possible I use 16 ga on hardwoods. You can get away with it on some softer boards but eventually you will get a tougher board.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
The HF 23 gauge pins are, at best, poop. Try the Porter Cable ones. Also try some of the shorter ones. (HD and HF sell only 1" ones.) You probably need 5/8 or 3/4. The HF ones are FAMOUS for printing the arrow in the wrong direction. Look at the ends of the pins. Put the beveled end down.

Red oak is a bear to use with 23 gauge. I have seen the HF pins do a complete 180° and come out the side that they went in. In theory any nail gun nail shouldn't bend at all.

I know that my local Rockler stocks 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4" 23 gauge pins.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the great info. I splurged and grabbed the Porter Cable pin nailer with matching pins. I used both 3/4 and 1" pins. Nailing through the face of the oak went very well, it was only when I nailed into the end grain in a mitred joint where the pins wanted to bend. I did have a couple make the 180 degree turn. It started to make me very nervous when holding the pieces by hand while nailing.

The PC nailer is a far superior product. The HF nailer kept digging into the workpiece as the ram would extend beyond the end of the nailer and dig into the wood. No such issue with the PC, plus the PC is much quieter and just feels much more solid.

·
Banned
6,838 Posts
try those pins in the HF gun. I've had the bard nailer, rook coil and framing guns from HF with not a single problem. Mine are almost 8 years old which replaced the same guns that i had for another 10 years until Katrina.

Red oak could be a problem also but likely not in this case.

I use the pins from HF also with no problem. it may be the new guns are not as good. The son did steal the company from his dad a few years ago.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for all the great info. I splurged and grabbed the Porter Cable pin nailer with matching pins. I used both 3/4 and 1" pins. Nailing through the face of the oak went very well, it was only when I nailed into the end grain in a mitred joint where the pins wanted to bend. I did have a couple make the 180 degree turn. It started to make me very nervous when holding the pieces by hand while nailing.

The PC nailer is a far superior product. The HF nailer kept digging into the workpiece as the ram would extend beyond the end of the nailer and dig into the wood. No such issue with the PC, plus the PC is much quieter and just feels much more solid.
Dont hold to close. I have hit my finger holding too close to the head. I always stay at least 2 inches away.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
I've got the porter cable gun. Had it for quite awhile now. No matter who's pins you use, occasionally they will bend. All it takes in oak is for it to hit the soft part of the grain and then the hard part at an angle. May make a difference which way you hold the gun also. Try it 90 degrees from the direction you were holding it. The most important thing to remember is to use glue along with the pins. They have no real holding power by themselves. And like the others said, use the shortest one that will do the job. If you need a 2" pin, you need a thicker gauge. Time to go to 18 when you get much over an inch.
Mike Hawkins;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts