Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have another wood project with a Shellac finish (Zinsser 100% dewaxed applied/layed on with a brush). The finish has cured, and before rubbing it out I leveled the finish (light sanding with 400 and then wet sanding with 600). I have about ten or twelve very tiny pin-sized spots (i.e., little indentations) that haven't been dulled with my leveling sanding. I am hesitant to keep sanding them out because I am afraid of rubbing through to the wood. My question is, will those small spots disappear or get sanded out as part of the rubbing out process (if I start with 1500 grit and go up)? I have rottenstone I am also planning to use, then rubbing compound, then polish. Or should I just keep sanding them till they are gone before I start the rub out process? Thanks.

·
Registered
26,880 Posts
If it were me I would thin some shellac and add another coat before doing more sanding. The pin holes were probably due to the shellac being too thick to begin with. If you like working with shellac I would suggest getting the equipment to spray it. Shellac can be very frustrating to apply with a brush because it melts into the dried finish you are applying over.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
What species are you using? Open grained species like red oak, walnut, mahogany, etc. have deep pores and many film forming finishes won't fill those. The surface film will not be level. Grain fillers are used on open grained species when you want a smooth mirror like finish.

·
Rick Mosher
1,010 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Good article on the Traditional French Polish. I will check out the videos tonight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts