Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been struggling with this problem for weeks and I am just about ready to give up. but Maybe someone can tell me what I am doing wrong. I have a picture frame that measures 40 by 42 inches. I wanted to reduce the frame size by 2 inches both in height and width. After I removed all the fasteners, I cut new 45 at each end. Cuts were made from the molding side. The long points measure 38 and 40 inches, respectively. I am using a Makita compound miter saw LS_1013. when I start rebuilding the frame the 45 angle corners do not line up correctly. I rechecked settings on saw and the angle of each cut. They're all at 45 degrees. Is there any explanation as to why I can't get a better fit on the 45 degree angles to make a good corner haven't closed a picture of the material that I'm using. Thanks for any suggestions.

Charles

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
27,749 Posts
One thing you can do is ......

Get a picture frame clamp like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078S4C6BQ/ref=psdc_553152_t3_B0035Y5KL2

Then clamp your two adjoining pieces together and run a fine tooth saw down the intersection. This will remove a small amount of material
from each side and give you a perfect joint.

You can not trust the factory stops on miter saws to be "perfect"

Even 1/2 a degree will cause the joints not to mate perfectly. :sad2:

·
where's my table saw?
27,749 Posts
Hand plane and a shooting board!

This video shows a 45 degree adapter for a shooting board used with a hand plane:
https://youtu.be/eqWbgkl_ryM?t=401

Mikes entire line of hand planing woodworking jigs and sawing here:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all the suggestions.
i did buy two of the framing clamps however the width of the wood is just a little bit wider than the maximum open opening of the clamp. Based on the comments so far, the issue is the accuracy of the miter cuts. I thought the problem was that I needed to miter the corners similar to the way you would do if you were installing Crown molding. I think I will try the 45 degree adapter approach.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts