Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about doing something for my avatar picture and wasn’t sure if I should to use my own photo, a logo or military patch. I noticed that a lot of you actually use photos of yourself and others just a logo or other stuff.

The reason I ask is about 10 yrs ago I belonged to a forum where everybody posted a photo of themselves including myself, and then suddenly within one week all the photos were replaced with other things. I never found out why the switch, but I left mine as it was. But then just as suddenly at around the same time, everyone was scrambling to copyrighting all their photos and I figured someone was stealing their photos for other purposes.

So for those here who don’t use your own photo, is there any particular concern or is it just a personal preference?

I recently heard radio talk show host making a lot of negative comments about posting personal photos although I didn’t hear why, because I didn't hear the topic from the beginning.

·
where's my table saw?
27,896 Posts
we wish to remain anonymous

Here's one for YOU:

·
where's my table saw?
27,896 Posts
better check with the FBI

It's OK with me though. :yes:

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually like that type of avatar better than a photo. I just don't want to get caught up in copyright stuff of use something that someone else is already using. So I wonder how you would know if it was copyrighted or not.

·
where's my table saw?
27,896 Posts

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OH! Well I guess I'll have to start looking around for something. :smile:

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Why not use a photo of something you made?
That's how I got mine.
Now thats an idea. I just don't know what just yet. I guess I could just try something and I could change it later when I think of something else.

Update: I just tried something but it said it was too big, so I have to look for something else.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Why not just resize the picture you wanted to use so it will be within the site size constraints?
Thanks Dave, I'm still looking for one that's unique and that fits me. I'm just playing around right now to see if something sets

Also still thinking about Dominick's idea, but I just build practical things that i need and nothing worthy of an avatar.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Umm thanks Dominic, That’s another idea except I’ll have to do some digging to see if I have a photo of my favorite dog sleeping, because that was way before digital. LOL

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
What kind of dog?
Well it was a Heinz 57 variety, but the smartest dog I ever had. He had short legs with a big head and long hairy tail. His bark was like a German Shepard but he was small enough to sleep in the passenger seat of my truck. His mother was a dachshund and the father was a Pit Bull Sheppard mix. He was the entire litter all bundled up in one. I think if there were more of him it would have killed the mother. I once thought of getting a tattoo of him and I still might someday.

So now I have a photo of my second favorite dog that died from poising and I think about her all the time as well.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry to hear.
Got any better pics? Hard to see
I don’t know how this views, but here goes. I have hundreds of photos but they are all mixed in with other titles. I’m just now learning how to add tags and I have thousands of photos that need tags, because I have such a hard time finding them.

Shes a Flat Coat Retriever.

Reactions: Dominick

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, She was a rescued dog and she just understood what was expected of her. I didn’t have to train her, she just knew. When we first got her she was not allowed upstairs because of the long hair and she only needed to be told once.
Then the kids were afraid to be upstairs alone, so I had to compromise and allow her to sleep on the stairs. I convinced the kids she would guard the stairs while they slept so they would each take her into their rooms to check it out before going to bed and then she would take her spot on the stairs. I have to say that I even slept better with her there keeping an eye on things.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts