Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any have an opinion on the Performax thickness planer? This planer is about the same price as the Delta. I have their oscillating spindle sander and for the money it is really great. It has a cast iron table and it is well built. I bought it on sale for $84.00 in 2007 and have had “O” problems. I have seen other sanders that look exactly like the Performax at twice the price.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I bought this planer about 6 months ago. The old adage applies here "You get what you pay for". It's not the worst tool I've ever owned, but if I had it to do over again I would keep saving to buy the Dewalt. It produces horrible snipe no matter what I do to avoid it (have to plan 6" of scrap for each board). The outfeed table is held up by 2 leveling screws which promptly broke the 2nd day I had it. Can't comment on blade change as I haven't had to try that yet, but I did open it up to investigate and it seemed pretty straight forward and simple. The measurement guide is pretty accurate too.
All in all, it's not awful. But, like I said...if I were you I would keep saving and get something nice.

And yes, some of the Performax brand tools really aren't that bad. The spindle sander you mentioned really is nice for the $$. A buddy of mine has the Performax lathe, and it's actually pretty nice. Just have to do some research before buying this brand.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input I guess I will just keep shopping. My main concern is snip. I have been looking a DeWalt and Makita.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which size did you get. The 13" you need to buy infeed and out feed tables. You would think they would supply with the oplaner. The 12 1/2 planer they are included.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have had a dewalt 13" for about 3 years now with NO problems. Sure, you need some sort of infeed outfeed tables, but it seems much more robust than the 12 1/2 IMO. I built a rolling cart with 36" infeed and outfeed tables built into it, so there was no need for the small overpriced ones they sell.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I bought the 12 1/2" model today, but I have not turned it on so far, I will tomorrow. Does anyone know what the manual is talking about when it refers to the turret setting? What is it used for and why? I guess I just don't get it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts