Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Music Teacher
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to purchase a drum sander. I have locally located a used 16-32 that I can see in action. It is in very nice condition and barely looks used. However, it is pre Smartsand Technology. It looks like you can retrofit a Smartsand switch for about 125 bucks. So, is the Smartsand Technology a must? Would it stop you from buying? Even if I retrofit the new controller, I am still way under the price of new...

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Brad

·
7,222 Posts
I have decided to purchase a drum sander. I have locally located a used 16-32 that I can see in action. It is in very nice condition and barely looks used. However, it is pre Smartsand Technology. It looks like you can retrofit a Smartsand switch for about 125 bucks. So, is the Smartsand Technology a must? Would it stop you from buying? Even if I retrofit the new controller, I am still way under the price of new...

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Brad
I have a Performax 16/32 purchased around 1999 - 2000. I had not heard of "Smartsand". I think the term is "Sandsmart" based on this article.

http://www.halfinchshy.com/2011/04/upgrading-performax-16-32-to-sandsmart.html

Reading the article it mentions about the drum sander popping a breaker if the drum is set too low and the sander is trying to take off too much wood. Been there, done that. Lesson learned.

Now I ensure I am taking off a light pass. The "Sandsmart" is meant to slow down the feed belt if the drum is set too low.

This may work, but since I experienced my first breaker popping, I have not had one since, due to my paying attention to the height of the drum.

Your experience may differ, but I would not pass on the drum sander due to not having "Sandsmart".

My unit only had 2 1/2in port on the hood. I cut this out and glued in a 4in port. Big difference in airflow and dust collection.

If you do get a drum sander, I highly recommend the blue zirconia abrasive from Klingspor. More expensive, but it lasts a LOT longer than the normal brown abrasive.

Less heat, easier to clean with the rubber stick, no burning on the wood.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/category.aspx?id=22&f4=ALUMINUM+ZIRCONIA

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a Performax 16/32 purchased around 1999 - 2000. I had not heard of "Smartsand". I think the term is "Sandsmart" based on this article.

http://www.halfinchshy.com/2011/04/upgrading-performax-16-32-to-sandsmart.html

Reading the article it mentions about the drum sander popping a breaker if the drum is set too low and the sander is trying to take off too much wood. Been there, done that. Lesson learned.

Now I ensure I am taking off a light pass. The "Sandsmart" is meant to slow down the feed belt if the drum is set too low.

This may work, but since I experienced my first breaker popping, I have not had one since, due to my paying attention to the height of the drum.

Your experience may differ, but I would not pass on the drum sander due to not having "Sandsmart".

My unit only had 2 1/2in port on the hood. I cut this out and glued in a 4in port. Big difference in airflow and dust collection.

If you do get a drum sander, I highly recommend the blue zirconia abrasive from Klingspor. More expensive, but it lasts a LOT longer than the normal brown abrasive.

Less heat, easier to clean with the rubber stick, no burning on the wood.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/category.aspx?id=22&f4=ALUMINUM+ZIRCONIA

+1 on the comment by Dave. I have a performax 22/44 with the smartsand. While I enjoy the variable speed feature it provides as well as the safety factor built in, mostly due to me being a novice I don't think it would have prevented me from getting it if it did not have it. However, is there a comparable deal that does have the smartsand feature in your area? If so might be worth looking into.

Hays

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have a 16/32 with smartsand. I agree with above statements. I love the sander for really figured woods. Slow gut does a great job.
Dave thanks for the sandpaper tip. :thumbsup:

·
Music Teacher
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a done deal. I went and looked at it and brought it home. For 575 bucks I got a very very lightly used machine. It came with the in/out tables and castors, all not put on the machine yet. Also a few boxes of paper and a rubber paper cleaner. I also picked up a PC router for 40 bucks that I can dedicate to dovetails. The best part is I got home, went through the manual, sent a board through and it is indeed a model with the Sandsmart/Smartsand built in. I'm a happy camper!

Thanks for the thoughts and the sandpaper tip!

Brad

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts