Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dried some 3x3x18in long peppermill blanks in my kiln. I got them down to around twelve to fourteen percent and don't want to go any further. Anyone have any experience turning mills at this percentage my meter only goes 3/4in. deep. So should I turn one and hope or should I expect some issues to occur?

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
Try turning one and keep an eye on the chips. As you get deeper into the blank and when you are boring it, if you start getting ribbons instead of chips, there may be too much moisture in the center. You will probably be ok. Let us know what happens. The other thing is if your shop is not in the house, after you finish it, don't bring it in the house right away. Let it rest and stabilize for a few days. Keep it away from any direct heat, like forced air vents, etc.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks mike Im feeling a little better about it. Ill keep them in the shop I keep it around 60 deg. Should be turning one by the weekend I will post an update. Maybe some pictures if I can figure out how to do it again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A little wet

[/attach] Took me a few days longer than I hoped to get this updated. That is a picture of the blanks in the kiln. Then of course one peppermill American chestnut. Started turning one from Walnut last night. Both were a little wet when boring the inside very dry on the outside. After making them I really dont see the m\c being a problem. I have about 12 more blanks some are spalted maple I noticed some split a little during drying right down a spalt line. I will try those this weekend I hope. Two are Osage, and they were soaked one of those did not fair to well. All the other blanks dried good.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
Bailey, keep an eye on the one you turns and see if it warps any. When I find the center is a bit moist, I've had them warp just enough to where the top would turn half way and get tight . I put them back on the lathe and true up the tenon and they're fine again.
Mike Hawkins;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts