Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some new pepper mills. Three are just completed. The other three I don"t believe I had previously posted. I have been working on different shapes. The first ones I made were fat in the middle.
The large one is walnut, the salt and pepper mill set is maple and walnut, and the other three small ones are cherry and cedar.
Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
guglipm63 said:
Nice. Aren't they just a blast to make
They are. I enjoy making them. As I stated in the post I am working on different shapes. The salt and pepper mill set was done totally with just a parting tool and roughing gouge other than the use of a spindle gouge to ease the edge of the top and base. I used a ROS after roughing to get an even diameter for the first time and it worked great.
Tom

·
Registered
792 Posts
I've made about 36 since Christmas. I figure they'll make nice gifts next Christmas but in the meantime I can enjoy them decorating my own kitchen before I give them away. I got to the point I was looking up chess pieces on the Internet for ideas on shapes

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
robert421960 said:
Tom those are nice for sure:thumbsup::thumbsup:
what finish did you use? they are nice and shiny :yes::yes:
Thanks Robert. I used General woodturners finish. I switched to it after I had some problems with using lacquer. It did not hold up well and got water spots very easy. The general finish does not have the water spot issue but I haven't used it long enough to know how well it will hold up.
Tom

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gervmn said:
Who do you get your kits from ? thanks
I get my kits from Packard or Craft Supply. I like the deluxe mills. I wasn't sure if people wold like the salt and pepper mill set with the straight sides. I sold it today at the farmers market and an order for another set.
Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts