Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fighting the fight.....
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are some of the pens I turned this weekend.

Copper Celebration Acrylic Artisan Rollerball pen. This is a custom acrylic that we poured on our own. Made from multiple types of copper pearlex powder.
copper-acrylic-pen.jpg
Kingwood Jr Gent II Rollerball pen. It is the first Jr Gent that I have turned. They are nice kits!
kingwood-rollerball-pen.jpg
Purpleheart Jr Gent II Fountain pen. This is the first fountain pen that I have turned.
purpleheart-fountain-pen.jpg
Rosewood Jr Gent II Fountain pen.
rosewood-fountain-pen.jpg
Tiger Lilly Acrylic Artisan Rollerball pen. This is a custom acrylic we poured using gold pearlex powder with copper ribbons.
tiger-acrylic-pen.jpg

Comments are welcome. I am always looking for ways to improve.

·
Fighting the fight.....
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments guys. I have finally gotten the wife involved by doing the custom pouring of the Acrylics. We are moving along and having a great time doing it. She pours much faster than I can turn them. I am way backed up......

·
Registered
912 Posts
Fred, those are all very nicely done! what is the procedure for doing your own casting? Is it hard, time consuming, expensive, etc?

John

·
Fighting the fight.....
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fred, those are all very nicely done! what is the procedure for doing your own casting? Is it hard, time consuming, expensive, etc?

John
John,

It is a process in which you use a polyester resin. I use Silmar 40. It is clear and you have to use pigments to get the colors that you desire. It is not difficult but there is definately a learning curve to make it happen.

There is tons of information about how to do it on the internet. I got started at IAP. They have a forum that is just about casting. I have been doing it for about a month and a half now. It is fairly costly but you get unique one of a kind results.

If interested PM me and we can talk some more.

·
Fighting the fight.....
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wonderful pens, I like them all. #1 and 5 are my favorite.
Some people like the Acrylics and others only like the Wooden ones. I haven't figured it out. The owner of an Artisan shop told me that wooden ones are the only ones that he can sell. Most people looking in his shop can't get over the fact that the Acrylic is just plastic...... These are going to his shop later this week. I hope. We will see how they sell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts