Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. This would be considered my first "real" project I guess. I saw this on TheWoodWhisperer.com and thought it would not only be a great first project, but also a great gift to hand out for Christmas.

I'm calling this a prototype because really... I just wanted to see how hard it would be to make. Now that I've gone through the steps - it really is pretty simple.

I did run into a few problems along the way. Maybe some of you can help me out...

1) If you look at the rear left corner you can clearly see glue stains. Short of sanding for hours... Is there a better way of getting rid of these? Would a wet cloth help clean them up, or would I be better off letting it dry for a bit and then scraping it out?

2) The cross cuts were pretty difficult for me to get accurate. Is there a trick to this? I'm thinking about building myself a crosscut sled and adding a stop block to help out.

3) Probably the most annoying aspect, for me, was lining up the shell with the base. Any tips for getting it perfectly centered, and keeping it that way?

I'm not sure about my choice of woods. I love the Bubinga but I think maybe the maple is a little too light. I'm thinking maybe mahogany next. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
113 Posts
That's a cute box.

Tape the edges of the glue lines before gluing, after the glue is rubbery, you can peel the tape off leaving a clean line. The sled and stopblock is the way to go.

I think you could use any wood that strikes your fancy and not have to work too hard.

I said something about this the other day. I saw in a kitchen store a knife holder made similar to this. If you make the sides taller and tightly fill it with bamboo skewers, you have a really neat knife holder that protects the blades.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Good job Rob. Can't add anything to what PK said just wanted to tell ya to keep going. You're off to a great start.

PK that's a cool idea for a knife caddy. You could get several knives in it; as many as you needed really - just build the box large enough to accomodate.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's really a neat idea. They were selling them for about forty bucks, not including knives. My Wife has been bugging me since to make a dozen or so for her to pass out as Christmas gifts. I imagine I'll get around to it about the 20th of December.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts