Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, first off let me say that this is just the way I do things. Some might be ok for you, some might not. Do it however you like/feel safe with what you have.
Here is most of what you'll need to turn pens:
Antique tool Metalworking hand tool Wood

Here is the pen kit I'll be doing, and I'll do 3 of them.

Here I show my miter saw. I put some tape on the table to mark the length of the tube. This kit the tubes are 2" and line right up with the scale on my auxillary fence.
Cardboard Room Wood Plywood

Here are the cut blanks. I've marked them for grain orientation so I make sure they assemble in the right direction (not very much grain on these but you get the idea.
Hardwood Wood Wood stain Wood flooring Floor

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next steps

I use this center marker to mark the center of each blank.
Metal

Here is my drill set up. I just use a wood screw to hold the blanks and use a brad point bit whenever possible to make sure I'm as close to center as possible.
Mortiser Machine Workbench Toolroom Wood

Here are the blanks drilled.
Wood Hardwood Games Wood stain Box

To scuff the brass tubes, this is the method I've finally arrived at. I place as many tubes as will fit on the mandrel and pull the tailstock tight. This is one of several reasons why I prefer the mandrel saver.
Door handle Metal

I use 150 grit and just spin the lathe by hand as I sand lengthwise on the tubes.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a sanded tube. All you're doing here is making sure the glue has something to grip better.
Wood Finger Metal

To glue the blanks, I set out two folded paper towels. One for blotting off the excess glue from the end of the tube, the other for cleaning off the tube insertion tool. Nothing worse that getting a tube stuck on there as you're trying to get into a blank. I also wear gloves. Trust me on this one. :blink: I use medium CA glue.
Wood Chisel Japanese chisel Tool woodworking

Here is a tube with glue. I "squiggle" the glue on the tube and apply to 3 different "sides"...just making sure to get glue as evenly spread as possible.
Antique tool Tool Pipe

Here are the blanks glued up. Normally I do more kits at a time and would no let these sit overnight to really cure. But for the sake of this tutorial, I'll resume after lunch.
Games Wood Hardwood

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
And on we go

So here's how I trim/true my blanks. I use a barrel trimmer in the drill press. I hold the blanks with a pair of channel locks.
Machine Machine tool Tool Tool accessory Milling

Here they are all trimmed,
Wood Hardwood Games Button Wood stain

and mounted on the mandrel,
Wood Tool Machine tool Tool accessory Metal

being cut.
Hand Lip Material property Finger Wood

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sharpening

Here is a pic of one of a set of angle setting tools I use.
Games Boomerang

Setting the tool rest angle.
Table Wood Furniture

These come in 35, 40, 45, 50 and 60 degrees. They work for the tool rest as shown, or also in the V-arm for use with Vari-grind or other tool holder. Worth every penny for repeatability. If you want to make your own, I believe John Lucas has a how to somewhere.

Roughing gouge sharpened

I don't use any other gouges turning pens. With a good sharp roughing gouge and the proper angleboth ground and when cutting and I get almost as smoot a finish as with a well sharpened skew. Since I'm going to sand anyway, why bother with anything else?

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sanding

Here's the sand paper I use, PSI's rolls, from 150-600 grit. I like to fold the pieces in half lengthwise.
Cardboard Paper

Here is the sandalwood sanded to 600. Notice the sanding lines, I'll now sand them lengthwise with 600 grit to remove these (forgot to get a pic).
Metal Wood

For finish, I apply Doctor's Woodshop shellac/walnut oil/carnuba wax blend with a piece of paper towel. I fold 1/2 a paper towel in 1/2 3 times and apply enough finish to give me a quarter sized blob on the towel.
Food Cuisine Dish Comfort food

When I apply the finish, I let the turning blanks grab just a little from the leading edge and then back off to the drier edge of the towel to buff it in. I can usually get 6-7 coats on this way quickly.
Wood Tool

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Almost done

Here are all the tubes turned and finished, lined up as to their grain orientations from before.
Wood

Assemblling the pens per instructions with a press.
Wood Tool

Finished product.
Pen Office supplies Writing implement Ball pen Writing instrument accessory

This is the basic kit I started with all those many (5+) years ago.
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKSTART1B2.html

Hope this helps some of you get going. Any questions, please ask.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for posting this Sawdust! Those pens turned out fine lookling! I just got my first Lathe and ordered a few pen blanks and want to give pen turning a try (along with segmented vases). This will help me get started on the pens! I am still waiting on a few items to come in before I can get started. I will be refering to this post the first few pens I turn. Appreciate the pictures.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.