Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been making pens lately. I use paper forms to track them as I make them. I thought others might like to see my forms as well. In case you want to make your own pen tracking forms, my forms look like this:

PEN MAKING RECORD
Kit Type:
Drill Size:
Wood Type:
Insert Glue:
Finish:
Notes:

My process is to put the pen kit, the pen blank, and the partially completed form into a fold-top plastic sandwich bag. As each pen goes through the various stages, I update the form as I go, and the in-progress work stays in the fold-top bag with the updated form.

I give the pens to family and friends. When the pen is complete, I put the pen in an inexpensive square gift tube. I save the fold-top bags for reuse. When the pen is gifted, I copy the paper record onto a spreadsheet. If something goes wrong later, I can look up the information about the pen. The spreadsheet columns are: Date, Wood, Kit, Drill, Insert Glue, Finish, Recipient, and Notes.

Here are the inexpensive tubes I use for gifting pens, 10 tubes for $6.99:
https://www.rockler.com/pen-display-tubes

My Word .doc file is 25k and the WoodworkingTalk website limits .doc files to 20k (@Cricket - may need adjustment?), so I uploaded a PDF version of the file.

I hope this helps someone. Feel free to share your pen making process here. It would be nice to see what others do.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had trouble uploading the Word version of the file, so I ZIP'ed it instead. Cricket fixed the problem, so here is the uncompressed .doc version in Microsoft Word format. All three versions are the same file, just different formats. Enjoy.

Is anyone else doing something similar?
Is anyone borrowing the record forms that I posted here?

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts