Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mostly because then I have to order it on the internet, pay shipping, border taxes... and I have to wait until it comes.

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Nate Bos said:
mostly because then I have to order it on the internet, pay shipping, border taxes... and I have to wait until it comes.
I agree with you and will subscribe to this thread. If you end up finding something please share

·
7,222 Posts
I do not have a plan, but looking at some bench dogs earlier today, how about getting some spring steel for e.g., storm windows, window sashes, and put this in the bottom of the box under the lining.

This is a picture of the dog which gave me the idea.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=31131&cat=1,41637,41645&ap=1

I think the normal lift boxes have some mechanism where the lid has arms which lift the pen. A piece of spring steel may be easier.

Example of a window sash spring.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-Chrome-Window-Sash-Spring-F-2538/100541308#.UidPAH9gvYU

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dave for the material, interesting idea. But I still really like the idea of the lid lifting the pen out of the box. If anyone has one of these boxes maybe they could post pics and dimensions?

·
Banned
615 Posts
Looks to me that the lid has two "fingers"attached to it that scoop the pen up. these fingers form part of the back of the box when the lid is closed. Look closely, you can see daylight under the pen.

I would build the box normal with a curved bottom from a router bit, then cut the fingers out at the scroll saw, attach to lid, attach lid to box. Genius idea.

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
lift

When the box is closed the lifts as we'll call them are the hinge itself they stick out of the box and when the box is opened they act as the lift. If it were me I would get out the router table and a 1/4 round bit make two passes on some 3/4'' by 2'' by 12'' so that you end up with a bull nose. make cuts so that you remove enough stock to leave 1/8'' for the lid so one cut at 5/8'' and the 1 1/16'' it will leave you with what looks like a bullnose with a tab coming off the back. Now take a go to the band saw and cut into hinges

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Looks to me that the lid has two "fingers"attached to it that scoop the pen up. these fingers form part of the back of the box when the lid is closed. Look closely, you can see daylight under the pen.

I would build the box normal with a curved bottom from a router bit, then cut the fingers out at the scroll saw, attach to lid, attach lid to box. Genius idea.
Your observation is right on the $ :thumbsup: I am sure Leevalley from Canada has the hinges.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts