Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a bunch of artisan cigar pens that require a 25/64 hole for the bushing but my drilled dimension is enlarging to 51/128. I'm not sure if the CA glue will fill up the remaining 1/64th of an inch space or if I should drop down to a 49/128th drill bit and hope it drills a final dimension of 25/64ths.

I've done two other pen sets and the 7mm and "O" bits sizes have been true.

The drill bit and bushing both measure 25/64th.

and why in all that is holy do stabilized blanks smell like hair salon death when drilled or cut? I'd rather smell rotting flesh than the stink that comes off those blanks.

·
7,222 Posts
It sounds like the tailstock may not be exactly aligned with the headstock, causing the drill to have some run-out while drilling.

I had this issue on my lathe. I had to re-align - more than once.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm drilling on the drill press; and I have a little run out but the other blanks I've drilled have fit well. Loose enough the bushing would slide freely but not this much.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
1/64th wouldnt bother me in the slightest bit unless I was doing a segmented pen where perfect drilling was required. Stop using CA for tubes and start using epoxy. It will take care of any minor gaps and it dosnt fail down the road like CA does. In my happy little pen turning world, CA is a finish not a glue!:thumbsup:

Oh and if your bushings are measuring 25/64 you may have the wrong bushings. The bushing is designed to fit the inner diameter of the tube. The 25/64 dimension should be the outside of the tube if that makes since.

·
Registered
396 Posts
You are right about the CA not filling the gap, not even thick CA does a good job for filling gaps, in my experience with it. I had a couple of blank failures then switched to using epoxy. Since switching no problems, and like bass said CA is for finishing :thumbsup:.
Use epoxy and it will be fine!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good to know on the epoxy. I'll try some on these blanks to help fill the voids. I used CA on the other pens and it worked good, not real sure on the working time though. One seemed to dry in .000001 seconds while another had 5-10 seconds of working time.

·
2,442 Posts
It will work good, even with gaps but only for a short time. Unless you drill a perfect hole with the perfect bit every time, CA will eventually fail. Drilling a perfect hole every time is nearly impossible because your bit will always be the same size. The tubes can vary slightly. Using epoxy dosnt really take much longer either. I use 5 minute epoxy. No its not cure in 5 minutes but its workable in 15 or so. I typically will wait overnight though.

Theres probably gonna be people get on here and say that CA is perfectly fine for glueing tubes and that they have never had a failure. Thats fine. Go over to the IAP site and do some reading. Theres tons of threads about tube failures and 99% are tubes glued in with CA. Im not saying your tube will fail with CA, Im saying it wont fail with epoxy. You plan to sell your product? Why risk it?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
+1 to that epoxy is a sure way to glue up pens. I also put my tubes on the mandrel and sand them on the lathe rather than doing it by hand.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The gorilla glue 5 minute epoxy sold at the big box stores seems to have good reviews on their sites. Will this work or should I order some hobby epoxy online?

·
2,442 Posts
I use LocTite brand 5 min epoxy because thats what HD sells. I buy the big bottles. I think its like 15 bucks. Those last a long time. Ive been using my current bottles for just about a year and Ive turned a lot of pens in that time. I havnt used the Gorilla brand but Im sure its fine.

I agree, if you use 5 min, dont try to glue up more than 3 or 4 at a time and if your going to do that many be certain you have everything ready before you mix your epoxy. This stuff starts tacking up really fast and becomes difficult to work with after a minute or so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts