Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tl;dr - Finished my first pen and I'm not sure why I have small scratches.

So last night after 3 attempts (I'm a bit of a perfectionist) I turned my first pen. Or at least got to an acceptable state.

The only problem is that there are small scratches in the finish/wood that when you look closely you can see. My guess is that I messed something up while sanding so I'm curious as if others have run into this problem and what they have done to resolve it.

1. I sanded 220 and 500 grit (I ran out of my higher grit paper)
  2. Followed by 20 coats of thin CA glue
  3. Then a light sanding to smooth out the glue.
  4. Then buffed it out

Some where along this path I ended up with small scratches on the wood going in the same direction as the lathe would have been turning.

So, my thinking is that it was caused by the sand paper but i'm unsure of how likely this is. I'm using cheap sandpaper and dry sanding if that makes a difference. I try to keep the sandpaper moving at all times and was clearing the dust off the paper every couple of seconds..

Any ideas?

Appreciate any responses!

Thanks,
Matt

Attachments

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Gnardar said:
tl;dr - Finished my first pen and I'm not sure why I have small scratches.

So last night after 3 attempts (I'm a bit of a perfectionist) I turned my first pen. Or at least got to an acceptable state.

The only problem is that there are small scratches in the finish/wood that when you look closely you can see. My guess is that I messed something up while sanding so I'm curious as if others have run into this problem and what they have done to resolve it.

[*]I sanded 220 and 500 grit (I ran out of my higher grit paper)
[*]Followed by 20 coats of thin CA glue
[*]Then a light sanding to smooth out the glue.
[*]Then buffed it out

Some where along this path I ended up with small scratches on the wood going in the same direction as the lathe would have been turning.

So, my thinking is that it was caused by the sand paper but i'm unsure of how likely this is. I'm using cheap sandpaper and dry sanding if that makes a difference. I try to keep the sandpaper moving at all times and was clearing the dust off the paper every couple of seconds..

Any ideas?

Appreciate any responses!

Thanks,
Matt
You need to use micromesh up to 12000 grit on the ca and Especially on darker woods make sure you sand with the grain before you apply CA.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
My routine (assuming there are no visible tool marks, grooves, etc, before I start sanding):

1. 220 grit with the lathe powered
2. stop the lathe, sand along the length of the blank turning the lathe with 220 grit by hand -- objective is to remove ALL the radial scratches before proceeding to the next grit
3. brush or wipe or blow away all grit from the blank -- a fresh paper towel, a toothbrush, an air compressor all work
4. 320 grit with the lathe powered
5. 320 grit lengthwise till all radial scratches removed
6. brush or wipe or blow away all grit from the blank
7. 400 grit with the lathe powered
8. 400 grit lengthwise till all radial scratches removed
9. brush or wipe or blow away all grit from the blank
10. perhaps continue with 600 grit, though usually I don't
11. perhaps apply some Danish Oil or Boiled Linseed Oil, rub till dry with a clean cloth
12. apply the CA
13. WET SAND with MicroMesh, always going lengthwise to remove radial scratches, then washing off the residue, before proceeding to the next grit
14. Finish it off with Huts Ultragloss polish or Plast-X polish.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going with the grain makes so much sense after you say that.. Thanks for the responses and I will give that a try!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts