Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to me that Penn state ind. has prices a whole lot cheaper on pen kits. So much so I am wondering if its a, get what you pay for kind of thing. ??? Good deal is great but I am not after a cheap product.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I don't know about pen kits since I have made a total of 2 but PSI seems to have good products. I'm sure someone that does pens will chime in. I make pen blanks to sell and know a lot of guys that do and a lot of the time you can get them at good prices so maybe cheap doesn't mean bad product.

I am talking blanks not kits those I have no idea about.

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
I think you can find..

equal or better quality as PSI at other places. At better prices usually. I have found that PSI can have reasonable product, they do have a customer service issue.

There seems to be an endless number of places to get blanks. Quality varies, but you can get blanks a lot cheaper at a number of places. You can also get premium blanks at a lot of places.

However, if you are just going to do a few pens, PSI seems fine. If you are going to collect them or sell them, I would shop around. There are better deals to be found.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
My take on PSI and it dosnt apply to all of thier componant kits but most. Thier kits are made in China. I buy componants made in Taiwan so that leaves me to Berea and Dayacom and a few others. I guess it depends where you are at in your pen turning. You new to pens? When I was new, cheap componants were what I was after, now that Im not so new, I want good quality componants with good quality platings. I try to sell my customers the best product I can. Makes me look better and I dont have them coming back with complaints. I cant speak to the customer service there. I have only ordered from them one time and my order was her in just a few days. Ive read some horror stories though.

They send me a new catalog, it seems like every month. Nothing changes but the cover. I would think they could save that money and put it into CS or something else.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feed back. I have not done a lot of nor plan to but regardless I would prefer that its a piece I would feel good about, gift or sale. A style I wanted to get more of that goes by a different name at PSI but looks to be that same style kit is more than 7 bucks cheaper so that sure got me wondering what thats all about. I was after black titanium and I would guess PSI has a plated metal to match that look and thus a cheaper price. Nothing wrong with that and I don't believe PSI says anything misleading about it the metals or materials but just I don't want the plating to come off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts