Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Wood Mangler
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was planning on making a downdraft table for sanding. Would pegboard be a decent material or would the holes be too small?

·
Wood Mangler
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will work. I made one using pegboard. Keep in mind that the bigger the board, the less it will suck.
How big was yours. I have a leftover piece about 2'x2'?

Reactions: chunter_ksu

·
Registered
598 Posts
How big was yours. I have a leftover piece about 2'x2'?
I am not sure. I can measure tomorrow. Here is a couple of pics, maybe you can get an idea of the size.

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sorry to be negative but it would be frustrating to build a tool that under performed.
The airflow thru those tiny holes must be minimal? If you are generating much dust the flow would not likely be sufficient.
I have a table with a mesh of half lapped 1/4 x1.25 inch hardwood with square holes about an inch square. The lattice boards are rounded over to make them more stream
lined. It does work well for sanding with a ROS above it. It is about 2 foot square to make a usefull working surface. It is the height of the table saw so serves as an out feed table.
It is powered by a 1/2 hp motor with an old furnace fan. The filter is two 24x16 inch furnace filters that can be air blown out periodically.
I would think the holes need to be at least 3/4 inch for good air flow.

·
Wood Mangler
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds much better but size and money restrictions are just gonna limit me to something I can hook up to my shop vac. Some day in the future when I have more than a condo basement for a shop, ill have to try yours.

·
Wood Mangler
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it done. Did some light test sanding on it. Seemed to work ok. Next cutting boards I make will be its trial by fire I guess. Thanks everyone for the help and input. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
598 Posts
If you have a small sanding project and the board just doesn't seem to draft enough, just tape over some of the holes and the draft will increase. I have had no problem with mine. It doesn't get absolutely everything but it gets the majority

1 - 10 of 10 Posts