Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you buy your hooks?
I have been ploughing through old threads about the pros/cons of peg board looking to see if I could find a source in any of them. Lots of arguments about that but not really relevant as my shop is filled with peg board and I'm not going to change it out.
Would love to find a peg board hook store where I can pick and choose the hooks I need rather than buying an assortment of hooks to get a couple of the ones I need.
I did find these in an old thread that I like better than the little plastic hooks.
Amazon.com: Pegitz Pegboard Peg Locks 50PCS (1/4 inch, Black) : Industrial & Scientific

· Registered
1,118 Posts
I developed my own method for tying the hooks to the pegboard that is relatively quick and easy. I can use any of the metal hooks regardles of size or diameter. But, I do like those plastic locks you reference. I assume they are reusable/movable.

Over the years, I have collected a lot of hooks from various sources. So, I haven't bought any for a long time. Amazon is a pretty good source as you can buy variety packs or groups of singular types to meet your needs.

· Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
5,884 Posts
I got a (USPS) large box of hooks at a yard sale for $5.00. Just happened to get lucky that day.
The "husband" of the "wife" that was holding the "garage sale" ran off with some bimbo he met on the internet and the wife was "cleaning out" all of HIS stuff from the house and garage. I also got a double stack rolling mechanics tool box for $25.00 and a few other things. Another guy got his 48v golf cart for cheap. Just goes to show you that you need to get "out and about" on the weekends for some really good finds.

· The Nut in the Cellar
1,778 Posts
My local independent hardware store carries a nice variety of pegboard hooks in bubble packs by size and type. Also some combo kits, but mostly individual styles. I see HD has a lot of hooks by size and type, but not in the store, just online. Getting more and more like that for lots of items.

· Registered
29,127 Posts
They are everywhere including walmart. Any lumber company or hardware store should have some. They might not be exactly what you want but they should have some. The ones I have are from home depot, harbor freight and walmart.

· Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
5,884 Posts
James - I guess we should have asked: "What is the size of the holes" in your existing pegboard ??
The Amazon link you provided is for a grommet thing so the standard 1/8" diameter pegboard hooks can be used in the 1/4" holes. So that question must be cleared up before you go buying a bunch of hooks. What size are the holes?
This is the link in your first post:
Light Automotive lighting Audio equipment Font Gas

Serveware Circle Font Metal Ceiling

· Registered
938 Posts
HF sells pegboard hooks, as I recall they are fairly cheap. Something to watch out for if you are a scrounger I am aware of at least three different sizes of pegboard and hooks. I got some retail store pegboard and hooks years ago. The holes were farther apart and the hooks were also heavier and made for the larger spaced holes., then there is the standard home pegboard and hooks for hobbyists, etc. Lastly, some companies that have their own display units for stores use a smaller than normal hole pattern and hooks. about 1975, I was in a store and the manager was selling off some of the old displays. One was a Dr. Scholl's foot care display and hooks. I gave $10 for the display with hooks and cabinets. Borrowed a truck to get it home and then found that my other hooks and pegboard were incompatible. There may well be other sizes as well.

· Registered
4,058 Posts
I got tired of grabbing something off the pegboard and having the hook fall to the floor.

I got some Talon pegboard hooks and they’re expensive, but they’re REALLY nice. They stay put and strong enough to hang almost anything.

· Registered
815 Posts
I buy them wherever I see them, especially if the price seems good. You might want to search for places that sell to retail stores. They might have some styles you don't normally find. Here is one example (not recommending this place, it's just the first one that came up on a google search): Retail Display Fixtures by KC Store Fixtures

I sometimes buy assortments, not knowing what I will need down the road. I store them right on the peg board, in an out of the way corner, so they are easy to find if I want to hang something new.

I found a few like these at an estate sale. Very strong because of the vertical leg. These are made to put a shelf on. The ones I found don't turn up on the end that keeps a shelf from sliding off. I have hung some heavy things on these that other heavy duty hooks can't handle. Some day I'll search for more like the few I have. I think the vertical leg on the ones I have is longer, making them stronger.

Triangle Parallel Drawing Automotive exterior Fashion accessory

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found some at Menards the other day. Bought a collection and a couple of other specific ones I thought I could use. Laid them on the dining room table because I didn't have time to get to the shop. Picked them up yesterday to take to the shop and they were badly corroded. I took them back. Going to be at Lowe's in the next few days so I'll try theirs. I just want a place where I can get the same type each time I go to buy some. I don't have a real problem with OCD but I do like consistency.

· Registered
Termite
8,843 Posts
There are cheap/thin hooks as John Smith suggested and there are thicker hooks. The thinner hooks will fall out with movement , but the thicker/correct hooks wont.

· Registered
1,118 Posts
Yeh. You've see it, but perhaps the OP or other new posters have not. The OP asked for ideas and advice. And, this is one that works for any of the miscellaneous hooks you have in your bucket regardles of size or shape. Of course, anyone has the option to use it or not. Also, most hooks (in my shop) tend to stay in one spot for a long time. So, the few seconds that it takes to tie them down is insignificant.

· Registered
Property mgmt
542 Posts
I bought a box of these. Easy to insert, secure, but a real booger to pull out if you want to reconfigure. Both legs have bends so they really stay secure. They might flop a little when you remove the tool, but they will not fall out.

Product Font Screenshot Circle Number

Nose White Human Organism Gesture

1 - 20 of 20 Posts