Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, been workin a bunch lately on bowl work and how to make it a bit more interesting. I love turning bowls to be sure and a really well made one that hits all of the big hallmarks is no easy task but I needed a good break to explore other elements that add to decoration without subtracting from the flow of the piece.

What's been striking me most as Ive been re-turning the bowls I rough turned a year and a half ago is that when rough turning I paid little or no attention to what I wanted the final form to be I just turned em thick and kept on going. While this method has some merit its been fun to figure out exactly what I want in terms of thickness in the final form, how I like for a piece to sit on a table etc etc. Though turning slightly on the thick side allows more leeway for mistakes and accents Ive been trying to tune the thickness so that it dries as fast as possible and so that the passes I make while re-turning are kept to a minimum. In my latest batch for instance I got the forms almost exactly where I wanted them to be for the future returns. My goal when returning is to make no more than 3 passes for each side shear scraping excluded. Limiting myself to those three passes has really helped on my utility bowls.

The great part about turning thick has been that you get more room to play. On this bowl for instance the trued up form was probably around an inch and a quarter inch and half. A good lesson I learned on this one was that with box elder it really pays to stop the lathe and take the time to anticipate. I did a swell job of creeping up on the red splatter when I rough turned it but didn't keep in mind that the trued form on the inside would cause the red streaks to recede with each pass. Because I had a thick form but didnt want to get lose as much of that crazy red color I decided to make these coves. Each edge goes back towards the outer wall at as accute an angle I could manage then swoops down and up to create the next. It took a bit of sketching on paper to figure out the right cuts to avoid just randomly stabbing and scraping the thing till it was done lol. Put a little "pebble" at the bottom there so it would seem like the start of a big ripple. Cant wait to get a finish on this puppy and watch that red explode! Also I didnt realize how sharp Id made those edges till I got sliced! nice thing about an instantly cauterized wound is that it doesnt bleed much:laughing: Anyway, learned a bunch on this piece n thought id share, happy turnin all,
Bond

Attachments

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Not a "turner" myself, but always admired those (like you) that could produce unique objects on a lathe! Always wondered if the turning wood speaks to the operator, to let out the beauty for all to see. Thanks for sharing. Be safe.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Nice work in progress!
+1 with Bonanza
Was wondering when you'd make another "Wow!"

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all! yeah I got it all sanded up before I took it off the lathe... it was no easy process especially with that bark inclusion on the first two rings. It kept on steeling my paper! that combined with the fact that if your finger hit the edge it was gonna be a good ol cut. I tried several speeds and every method I could think of to get it sanded and in the end the most efficient way was the way I always do it slow speed light pressure:thumbsup: Under the lips were no doubt the hardest. Had to hand sand a good portion of that:) It was at such an odd angle. I looked down and the left corner of my right thumbnail was completely gone! My main issue now is how to sand and finish off the foot. All of the ways I know of are dicey on this piece but Ive just gotta man up and go for it. need to bring it back out into the shop so it stares at me till I get it done haha. I really wanna get a finish on there so Im gonna use that as motivation! happy turnin all,
Bond

·
Yay! Finally on Facebook
207 Posts
All of the ways I know of are dicey on this piece but Ive just gotta man up and go for it. need to bring it back out into the shop so it stares at me till I get it done haha. I really wanna get a finish on there so Im gonna use that as motivation! happy turnin all,
Bond
Jumbo Jaws? Baywatch Pam Anderson's cleavage? :blink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts