Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PBS took off Rough Cut with Tommy Mac and replaced it with American Woodshop with Scott and Suzy Phillips. I'm not happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Those shows are rotated around based on the individual station's discretion. But I can understand you not being happy, Phillips show is a snooze (actually it's not even that good).

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I would be happy with either.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't think the camera liked Tommy Mac. I watched the show a few times and though I liked the projects, he just didn't seem to be made for TV. I watched the AW show online and I don't think it's any better. Norm set a standard that will be hard to match for a long time.

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
snookfish said:
I don't think the camera liked Tommy Mac. I watched the show a few times and though I liked the projects, he just didn't seem to be made for TV. I watched the AW show online and I don't think it's any better. Norm set a standard that will be hard to match for a long time.
Oh, I have to politely disagree about Tommy. I was an actor from 1981-2006 and wish I had the camera look that Tommy has. He is a very good looking muscular young man that has learned to perform openly to the camera in a way that Norm only could in his wildest dreams. Yes, Norm has set a "norm" for future woodworking TV hosts and Tommy goes against that norm, and that's a good thing. Norm A. was a frumpy Middle Ages man that wore stereotypical attire and behaved in the same expected way that only ads to the stereotype misnomer of carpenters with a show that was heavy on special tools in place of talent. Tommy on the other hand puts an attractive young face to quality woodworking that is not heavy on tools but on true talent, teaching the needed skills, which is nice to see, and he does so with sincerity and true character, displaying emotions, good and bad. More I learn about Tommy's past, the more I'm convinced he is the best option for a new face to woodworking. As a woodworker and an ex-actor, Tommy does a good job, no not good but great job. Yes! He does a great job in Rough Cut.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
He is a very good looking muscular young man that has learned to perform openly to the camera in a way that Norm only could in his wildest dreams. ...

... Tommy on the other hand puts an attractive young face to quality woodworking...
Someone has a crush! :laughing:

I'm just kidding you, please don't take my comment offensively.

Actually, though, I agree with you. I don't give a crap about Tommy's looks. But I like that he's a younger woodworker bringing programming to a new generation who can more easily relate. And he does it in a manner that's not so stilted. But I love love me some Norm and always will.

But I HATE that my local PBS station has been running the SAME EPISODES OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER ...

I guess they could only afford one season and are going to play it until TV is obsolete and programming is transmitted directly to subscribers' brains, at which time they'll transmit the same episodes directly to subscribers' brains until they burst. Not too far removed from the Halloween movies. Only without masks.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
When I first watched Tommy I found him irritating.

It was the breakneck speed of his presentations. I thought he should slow it down and give more detail.

Once I realized that his style was due to his passion for the art and probably in large part to the time restrictions of half hour segments
I grew to appreciate him.

I'd like to see Tommy devote future episodes to the proper use of hand tools and techniques, hand planes, chisels, carving tools etc.

With his formal education in woodworking and his experience making videos he'd be great at it.

Reactions: Chaincarver Steve

·
Rough Sawn Lumber
196 Posts
I learned to love the Rough Cut Mac show after just a couple of episodes. Them American Woodworker and Woodsmith shows are just so dull and dry. Tommy brought a new level of excitement to the hobby.

Love Roy too and am amazed at how the show is basically one shoot, meaning with no breaks in the episode. For that reason I bet commercial tv would have a hard time airing one.

I watch any woodworking show but like Tommy the best right now.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I like tommy quite a bit but not near as much as norm. Woodsmith is pretty good most of the time. Roys show is neat but I can't watch it with all the silly noises he makes and whatnot I just can't take him serious. But the things he does with hand tools are really neat. Plus all his tools have a safety feature. They automatically stop when contact with flesh is made lol. I have heard him use that joke more than once.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts

It was the breakneck speed of his presentations. I thought he should slow it down and give more detail.

Once I realized that his style was due to his passion for the art and probably in large part to the time restrictions of half hour segments

I'd like to see Tommy devote future episodes to the proper use of hand tools and techniques, hand planes, chisels, carving tools etc.

With his formal education in woodworking and his experience making videos he'd be great at it.
I agree with every point you made. I found him kind of "fruity" and cheesy at first (but not in the edible way). But it didn't take too long to warm up to him. Now I really appreciate his style and all that he has to offer. He's the veritable Mack Daddy, if you will.

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chaincarver Steve said:
Someone has a crush! :laughing:

I'm just kidding you, please don't take my comment offensively.

Actually, though, I agree with you. I don't give a crap about Tommy's looks. But I like that he's a younger woodworker bringing programming to a new generation who can more easily relate. And he does it in a manner that's not so stilted.
You found me out. I'm gay with a wife and 8 kids. Nope, NOT GAY! However, I do know good looking when I see it.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
WarnerConstInc. said:
The only person worth watching is Roy.
I'm guessing that you're saying this either because you've progressed beyond what the other shows can teach you or your primary interest is hand tools.

If this is the case I understand.

In my case, I'm still at the point where I learn a lil sumpin' from all of the programs I watch.

Sometimes I think of alternative methods and/or I'm able to anticipate how they will perform a particular operation.

The Woodright's Shop with Roy Underhill is an excellent show.

Who better than Roy to teach us about hand tools?

Still, his program like Tommy's, is fairy project oriented.

I enjoy his guests. Loads of talent and knowledge.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
vursenbach said:
You found me out. I'm gay with a wife and 8 kids. Nope, NOT GAY! However, I do know good looking when I see it.
Laughing!

I noticed his good looks too.

My thought was " I wish I looked more like him and less like this....

cane-toad0.jpg

;(

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jharris2 said:

If you catch him on YouTube or some of the other videos on the Internet, he takes a lot more time and is very complete in his explanation.

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WarnerConstInc. said:
The only person worth watching is Roy.
He's getting old; however, I do like his show to as long as its not one I've already seen over 20 times

1 - 20 of 34 Posts