Woodworking Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Edit: This thread is brought to you as an alternative to discussing the apparently controversial subject of patriotism in my "Gratitude" thread.

A member asked some interesting questions in that thread that merit discussion.

Let's have that discussion here so that "Gratitude" can focus on its intended purpose, that is, to highlight the service and sacrifice of veterans who serve the cause of freedom regardless of nationality.

Thanks folks

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whatever you'd like to contribute.

·
The New Guy
1,200 Posts
Are you asking what is the definition of patriotism? How one displays it?
You missed the other thread that prompted him to start this one. It's here. I asked him if his gratitude towards patriots extended beyond patriots of his own country. He acknowledged that he does not limit his gratitude strictly to U.S. soldiers. There was some miscommunication between him and sawdustfactory about who sawdustfactory was referring to in one of his posts. I then posted that I applaud the fact that jharris2 doesn't limit his gratitude to only those serving in the U.S. forces. Cabinetman followed by voicing his doubts about what he believes jharris2's concerns are regarding my assessment of jharris2's position regarding patriotism.

Jharris2 started this thread to give sawdustfactory and cabinetman a place to question my views of patriotism that does not take his original thread in a direction he does not want it to go.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
You missed the other thread that prompted him to start this one. It's here. I asked him if his gratitude towards patriots extended beyond patriots of his own country. He acknowledged that he does not limit his gratitude strictly to U.S. soldiers. There was some miscommunication between him and sawdustfactory about who sawdustfactory was referring to in one of his posts. I then posted that I applaud the fact that jharris2 doesn't limit his gratitude to only those serving in the U.S. forces. Cabinetman followed by voicing his doubts about what he believes jharris2's concerns are regarding my assessment of jharris2's position regarding patriotism.

Jharris2 started this thread to give sawdustfactory and cabinetman a place to question my views of patriotism that does not take his original thread in a direction he does not want it to go.
So...do you have a contribution?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I find no problem to exhibit patriotism in regards to your own country. It's that sense I patriotism that makes countries pull together during hard times. (Well at least it used to)

·
The New Guy
1,200 Posts
Yes I do. What's your location? IOW, where are you exactly? We should meet, and then we can discuss patriotism face to face.:yes:

I am currently sitting in my office, but am about to go pick up supper at Tony's in Lake Charles, LA. It's on Prien Lake road between Ryan street and Common street. Take the Ryan street exit from I-210 and head west on Prien Lake. You can see the Tony's sign before you exit if you come from the west. Would you prefer a table or booth?

Seriously, if you'd like to meet face to face and discuss patriotism or just about anything (I won't discuss illegal matters with you), I'd be happy to. I'll even pay for your meal.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Itchytoe said:

You're only part right.

I started this thread because you asked some questions worthy of discussion but not IMO appropriate as a subject of discussion in the "Gratitude" thread.

Thought I made that clear. Yes

While Sawdust and Cabbie are welcome to participate this thread was started for all who might wish to contribute.

My break is over Itch. I'll try to answer your questions later.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cabinetman said:
So...do you have a contribution?

I think he does albeit originally misplaced.

For my part I will do my absolute best to be respectful to those with opposing views.

This discussion has potential.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ryan50hrl said:
I find no problem to exhibit patriotism in regards to your own country. It's that sense I patriotism that makes countries pull together during hard times. (Well at least it used to)
I agree Ryan but I think there's more to it than that.

Catchya later, gotta get back to work

:)

·
The New Guy
1,200 Posts
Parking lot would be just fine.:laughing:

You're under no obligation to sit down to talk. We can just as easily talk in a parking lot. I find it odd that you would want to talk in a parking lot when there's a perfectly good air conditioned restaurant in that same parking lot though. Do you have some other activity planned for the parking lot? Bobbing for apples perhaps?

·
The New Guy
1,200 Posts
You're only part right.

I started this thread because you asked some questions worthy of discussion but not IMO appropriate as a subject of discussion in the "Gratitude" thread.
My bad. I stand corrected. Didn't mean to put words in your mouth.

ryan50hrl said:
I'm more of the mindset that it's not patriotism that makes people pull together and work through hard times, it's their empathy that does it. As an example, even if I live on the boarder of another country (like Mexico) and my neighbor (who happens to live on the Mexico side) has something horrible happen to them, I would still help them. True, that's a very small scale, but it works like that on a larger scale too. Just look at the victims of earthquakes, or tsunamis, or the Chilean miners from a few years ago. People came together and helped them despite not being of the same country as those in need. That's the exact opposite of patriotism. If I prefer my country over others, I'd want my country ahead of every other one which by default means I'd want others behind me. I wouldn't pull to lift them up since behind me is where I'd want them to be. Pulling together and helping those in need is a human trait, not a national trait. Humans help their own species, and sometimes other species as well. That's empathy, not patriotism. Sometimes that empathy just doesn't have to cross national lines.

I'm sure you would agree that you would pull together with your neighbors (even if one is a Muslim) in a time of hardship, regardless of national lines or countries of origin. Right? If so, how is it patriotism that is responsible for you helping people of different countries? No I'm not calling you out, I'm genuinely interested in your views of patriotism. I see patriotism in much the same way I see religions. I'm personally not a fan of either. I guess in some ways you could call me a humanist.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought I'd start out using the dictionary definitions of the words as a baseline.

That's all for me for now.

I had a rough week today and all I want at the moment is a cold beer enjoyed in a hot shower, a quick meal and some TV that doesn't require any intellectual effort.

See ya'

****patriot [pey-tree-uh t, -ot or, esp. Brit. , pa-tree-uh t]

—noun

1. a person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion.

2. a person who regards himself or herself as a defender, especially of individual rights, against presumed interference by the federal government.

*** patriotic [pey-tree-ot-ik or, esp. Brit. , pa-]

—adjective

1. of, like, suitable for, or characteristic of a patriot. 2. expressing or inspired by patriotism: a patriotic ode.

***patriotism [pey-tree-uh-tiz-uh m or, esp. Brit. , pa-]

—noun

1. devoted love, support, and defense of one's country; national loyalty.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.