Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first sketchup model and I want some opinion if it is over engineered or not enough etc. I am really new to woodworking but trying to learn as much as I can.

This is a table I want to make to put outside on our new patio.

The legs are 4x4 and all other are 2x4. The table is 180cm long by 100cm wide.

As far as wood choice, should I use treated wood since it will remain outside all summer (like I said I am really new to this)? I was wondering if it would be nice to make the top a different wood like cedar for example.

Thank you!

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

We have an introduction section where you can say a few words about yourself. If you fill out your profile in your "User Control Panel", you can list any hobbies, experience, occupation, or if retired…from what, or other facts. You can also list your general geographical location which would be a help in answering some questions. In doing that your location will show under your username when you post.

Your basic design looks OK. How were you planning for configuring and installing the material for the diagonal field. As for woods, I would use one from the following...White Oak, Cedar, Cypress, Redwood, Teak, Ipe.

·
Premium Member
6,169 Posts
I personally would use cedar rather than treated lumber for a table you may have food on. Fasteners will last longer in cedar as well.

The outside frame may be troublesome, depending how the top is made with seasonal changes and wood movement.

Looks like it will be a sturdy table.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can't see the model, but agree with FrankC - do not use treated lumber for the top - not safe where there is food involved...

If you search the site you'll find a lot of easy, simple tables and advice and tips on how to make big box dimensional lumber look nicer. good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts