Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,164 Posts
There was just an article in one of the woodworking magazines, might have been American Woodworker, not sure. But the auther likes to use beeswax on cutting boards and the like. What he does is one of two ways. His favorite is to put the piece of wood in the oven for about ten minutes on low heat, just so it is warm to the touch. Then he takes it out and rubs a block of beeswax against it and the heat melts it right into the wood. Let it cool and buff lightly. The other way was to melt some beeswax in mineral oil by heating it carefully on the stove. No open flames though, double boiler pan setup or electric stove. The beeswax will melt into the mineral oil, then he wipes it on the wood. Repeat about once a year.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would NOT use anything NOT labeled food safe.
I didn't see anyone else post "where", so it's my pleasure to let you know that you'll find Food Grade Mineral Oil at your "participating neighborhood" pharmacy or at a supermarket near you.

Here you’ll find the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for Paste Wax (crystal clear) w/ carnauba.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/msds/carnauba.pdf

During my last project, which was a cutting board, I came to know that walnut oil is discouraged when it comes to cutting boards. It seems this can a danger for those with a nut allergy.

Thomas JKindlewood

1 - 8 of 8 Posts