Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Own 4 = 1/2" pipe clamps, 4 = 3/4" pipe clamps and several Quick grip sliding clamps (6", 12", & 24"). I was wondering what the difference in parallel steel clamps and pipe clamps? How often are they needed, are they a must, and what's the main five difference I've a bar clamp? The bar clamps I have are Pony, so if I buy the parallel they would be Pony. Thanks

Eric

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have the Jorgensen parallel clamps. I like them better than pipe clamps. Deeper reach with the jaws is a plus. They are pricey tho. :smile:
I have 4 of these and while I like them, they aren't really parallel. The pulling cam is angled and I could never clamp anything 90 degrees with it, for example doing a butt joint. It sucks because they are well made and very sturdy, but heavy. Lately, I'm using Bessey slides and I love them.

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts
I have 4 of these and while I like them, they aren't really parallel. The pulling cam is angled and I could never clamp anything 90 degrees with it, for example doing a butt joint. It sucks because they are well made and very sturdy, but heavy. Lately, I'm using Bessey slides and I love them.
I use these clamps daily and have had no problems clamping 90 deg. Maybe I'm just lucky... :smile:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I use them exclusively and have never had a problem. They are great clamps.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mdntrdr said:
I have the Jorgensen parallel clamps. I like them better than pipe clamps. Deeper reach with the jaws is a plus. They are pricey tho. :smile:
May I ask, why do you find them better then bar clamps? Thanks

Eric

·
Registered
243 Posts
Noek, I believe you are refering to these clamps you previously posted about.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f11/jorgensen-bar-clamps-56348/

I think mdntrdr is referring to the Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps...

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2084116/36744/Jorgensen-Cabinet-Master-4pc-Set.aspx

They are a different animal from the ones you have.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
May I ask, why do you find them better then bar clamps? Thanks

Eric
I can't complain about pipe clamps. That's just about all I had in the beginning (other than spring and "C" clamps). I was doing mostly casework then. Some clamps are more appropriate depending on the project than other types.

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
mdntrdr said:
Are you talking bar clamps, or pipe clamps? You said you had 1/2" and 3/4", I assumed you meant pipe clamps? :huh:
I'm sorry, pipe clamps are what I have. I have 4 designed for 1/2" pipe and 4 designed for 3/4" pipe.

This what I have:

image-3070946949.jpg

This is what I'm thinking about:

image-2238424651.jpg

Eric

·
Registered
299 Posts
Noek, I believe you are refering to these clamps you previously posted about.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f11/jorgensen-bar-clamps-56348/

I think mdntrdr is referring to the Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps...

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2084116/36744/Jorgensen-Cabinet-Master-4pc-Set.aspx

They are a different animal from the ones you have.
Ah gotcha. Yeah those cabinet clamps are just like the Bessey slide clamps I use now. Huge faces, lightweight, tons of contact area, and extremely simple and fast. Definitely not cheap though.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
I've had pipe clamps for years and while the new ones (not available to me when I started) look like the bomb. I like all my clamps to be the same and the same size for glue up. So I put off buying the new ones. I'm also older now and spend a little more time on getting the wood ready for glue up and don't really need any "better" clamps. But maybe someday.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts