Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting on my trek of building a panto-router.

Since I am a DIY type, I did not buy Matthias' plans.

My first try at the floating router assembly will be made from the large free paint stirrers from Home Depot. I have good confidence that there will be no play with this approach. You will see that I mean when I get there.

This is sure to be a cobble something together type of thing, with more than a few re-dos. Pics and discussion as they are available.

Here is a sketchup of what I am thinking for the hinges ...

Attachments

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
another view of the general idea. i the router holder part is clearly not modeled yet ...

Attachments

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here is how I am making sure the holes are all the same distance apart. The bolt in the 2nd and 3rd pics is fixed to the t-track. So after making the first hole, I use the bolt to locate the next hole. and then one more time for the last hole. That way, I am sure that they are all exactly the same distance apart.

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
That looks like a good start to get what you want in a pantograph. There's also a lot of good pantograph builds over at www.woodgears.ca.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
899 Posts
Chris Curl said:
I am starting on my trek of building a panto-router. Since I am a DIY type, I did not buy Matthias' plans. My first try at the floating router assembly will be made from the large free paint stirrers from Home Depot. I have good confidence that there will be no play with this approach. You will see that I mean when I get there. This is sure to be a cobble something together type of thing, with more than a few re-dos. Pics and discussion as they are available. Here is a sketchup of what I am thinking for the hinges ...
Are you using he bought plans that are online

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is starting to come together ...

It is 16 paint stirrers wide, making it 4" front to back.

The cross pieces where the router will be held are 34" apart, so I can use 1x stock or 3/4" ply.

Attachments

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will do on the updates. There is another mallet swap going on? Full disclosure ... I haven't been keeping up with this forum as I once did.

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,587 Posts
Watching with interest.....

I am definitely interested to see how this plays out...

I guess I'm going to ask the question..... How are you able to get so many of those stir sticks? At the home depot stores here, they give them out willingly, but not dozens of them....

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It is a little awkward asking for them. But there is one HD in the area that has them in a big bucket in front of the counter, so I don't have to ask for them. It is not far, so I just pop in there when I have a chance and grab a handful.

*edit* another option though would be to rip a 2x4 into whatever thickness you want to use. I like the 1/4" thickness because that helps make sure there is no play, but you could just as easily use 3/8" or 1/2" (or whatever) thick pieces.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2 questions:

1. Is the guide at the top of the handle the same size as the bit that you would use in the router? I'm not sure, but I have this feeling that maybe it should be twice the size ... ?.

2. Is there a lubricant I can use in the joints to reduce the friction inside the joints?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Chris Curl said:
2 questions: 1. Is the guide at the top of the handle the same size as the bit that you would use in the router? I'm not sure, but I have this feeling that maybe it should be twice the size ... ?. 2. Is there a lubricant I can use in the joints to reduce the friction inside the joints?
It depends on the bearing sized used. As the guid to go around the template

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I know I didn't ask the question very clearly ... let me try again ... if the bit is, let's say 3/8", then would the diameter of the guide also be 3/8"? Or would it be twice the diameter of the bit (for this example, that would be 3/4")?

I am pretty sure it should be 2x the diameter of the bit, but I'm not 100% sure.

Perhaps it's irrelevant most of the time, but when using it for things that need to match up, like mortise/tenon joints (or dovetails), it might make a difference.

Splinter, are you saying that ratio of the diameters of the bit and the guide is not constant?

·
Registered
899 Posts
I believe but can check at home. That the bearing is a constant. The template change per tenon size. I'm sure the bit is a constant also. There are some video of him explaining how he gets the bearing to the size he needs. I believe it was double. But again I will need to check

1 - 20 of 50 Posts