Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keeping on the theme of using up those dust gathering, corner jamming shop scraps, I built this custom Art Desk for use by my girls--grand daughter, daughter and wife. It fits between two doorways in my wifes studio/office/art room.

What else are you going to do during a pandemic?

I did buy the melamine top, but all the rest was dust gathering in the way bothersomes.

Furniture Wood Interior design Comfort Floor
Table Furniture Wood Building Interior design
Wood Rectangle Floor Flooring Hardwood
Table Furniture Rectangle Wood Outdoor furniture

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
That's really nice! I love the side drawers and the pull out table extension. I'm not sure what you'd use the storage under the desk top for ... you can't get to it once you've started a project. I LIKE it ... just not sure what I'd put in it.

Well done ... looks great!

·
Registered
332 Posts
@Colosnoball - very nice. Great design ideas.

I have a question about the spring lid supports you used. I have used them only once, about 20 years ago. I remember they sold 3 or 4 different ones, the difference being the amount of weight they would hold open. I had about 6 lids and used two supports on each lid. I chose a "strength" where two should have been more than enough for the weight of one lid. They barely held the lid open. I'm wondering about how it worked for you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That's really nice! I love the side drawers and the pull out table extension. I'm not sure what you'd use the storage under the desk top for ... you can't get to it once you've started a project. I LIKE it ... just not sure what I'd put in it.

Well done ... looks great!
Thanks, m.n.j.chell! The storage under the top is for rules, templates, drawing pads and other misc. art stuff that needs bigger flat spaces. Yes, you have to access it before you start the next project.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Colosnoball - very nice. Great design ideas.

I have a question about the spring lid supports you used. I have used them only once, about 20 years ago. I remember they sold 3 or 4 different ones, the difference being the amount of weight they would hold open. I had about 6 lids and used two supports on each lid. I chose a "strength" where two should have been more than enough for the weight of one lid. They barely held the lid open. I'm wondering about how it worked for you.
Woodworking Wolf, Thanks for the compliments. The lid supports were rated at 20# each. Since my girls needed an easy access lift, I put enough on so that the top moved up with a gentle nudge. I figured the springs aging in the future would make them less effective, so I used as many as fit the spaces. The top was made of a single panel of two sided melamine industrial particle board and is of course, real heavy. It's edged in ash nosing, splined and glued to protect the fragile sharp ugly edges. I would guess the top weighs close to 75 lbs.

·
Registered
750 Posts
A fine anf thoughtful project like that needs a follow up report after the ladies have used it a few times.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Using our skills to create a bespoke item for a specific need is why some of us pick up tools some of the time. Its very satisfying to make a custom item that will get real use.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A fine anf thoughtful project like that needs a follow up report after the ladies have used it a few times.
kiwi_outdoors: It was placed in service last October. I added a couple of adjustable lights to compensate for the limited east and south natural light in the room.

The desk is in constant use and remains popular with my girls.
Thanks for your kind comments. I took the "in use" picture today. Table Furniture Building Cabinetry Sewing machine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts