Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, i have an odd question. I was driving home from work and saw someone cutting down a palm tree and it got me thinking...... Had anyone ever used palm tree wood? I'm just curious about how it is to work with.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't know where you are. But our palm trees in Florida are not useful for woodworking. Yours may be different.

Had you taken the time to look at the cut section you may understand. Looks like a bunch of cut soda straws.

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
only read another post in the last week about palm. Cant remember if it was this forum or another. The person mentioned something about only using the 'outer shell' of the trunk?

I'd say if it is free give it a go.

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Heart of palm is always good to eat. Okay, that's not what you are looking for. Honestly, I don't think you would be able to make anything with a pa tree. The entire trunk looks like a tight broom. It is very fibrous with almost nothing holding the very long fibers together.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Heart of palm is always good to eat. Okay, that's not what you are looking for. Honestly, I don't think you would be able to make anything with a pa tree. The entire trunk looks like a tight broom. It is very fibrous with almost nothing holding the very long fibers together.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
for eating those are called cabbage palm's only the top part , that is where swamp cabbage come's from , i have had it many time's , of course the tree is gone than. the palm's that i have seen are like straw's , not good for wood working that i am aware of . i live in so. east florida

·
Registered
885 Posts
i used some black palm for fronts of some small drawers on a jewelry case. Very strange wood. Did it because the recipient really liked palm trees. I tink no wood is a bad wood just have to be creative in its use. Palm, with all this straw fibres will twist like crazy

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I had a large palm cut down last summer and the crew cut it up in 4ft sections starting from the top. I had a good look at it and wondered the same thing. I have to say the wood looked very interesting and I came close to asking for a piece to experiment with, but didn’t want to interrupt their operation and my wife was saying NO. :smile:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts