Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only cost is the sanding discs and glue and nails to attach to the wall. I get pallets from a few contractor friends in the area. Use a skill saw to cut out the boards. Take them to the chop saw to square the ends. Run them through the table saw to get the same width then I orbital sand each one. Start 80 and work up to 220 grit. Paint the wall a dark color. Put up the pallet pieces with a spacer like you would tile. Attach with adhesive and a couple finish nails. The final outcome looks amazing. This is in a $800k home and the owners LOVE IT.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Wood bricks. Great idea!

You said you spaced the pieces but from the photo I don't see spaces.

How about a close up photo?

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
At first glace I thought that you must have used pallet wood to build the support behind the stone work. But then I realized what I was looking at! That looks awesome :thumbsup:

·
where's my table saw?
28,737 Posts
wood fire bricks...

If you run short on firewood just tear into the wall....just sayin':blink:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Its very nice, but also potentially dangerous as well. Some pallets are soaked in chemicals to kill insects, or from sitting in warehouses. They may even have had sacks of chemicals sitting on them for shipping. Hopefully you sealed those thoroughly before mounting them to the wall.

While I also use pallet wood in some projects, I'd be very leery of covering a wall in a living space with them. You are going to be breathing that stuff for a long time.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Great idea! Like the rustic look, your pallets have very nice colors and looks great with the existing fireplace. Great job!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thats pretty cool! As for the danger, maybe sealing them with some shellac or something. Cool look, great job. :smile:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Very nice work.
I am doing a similar thing in my new workshop for the ceiling. Not as nice though. I am pressure washing and sanding them as is. I am also put a coat of "spray lacquer on the side that shows. And then just throwing them up there... I try to put up even rows, but the widths and thicknesses vary. I think it will give it a nice rustic look to my shop. Here's is a picture of my work in progress(for some reason it uploaded side ways from my phone, but you get the idea) ...

ForumRunner_20130906_101424.jpg

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
That looks really really cool.

I keep hearing about these pallets soaked in chemicals, but in all the years I've been tearing them apart for fires and projects, I've yet to come across a single one with any kind of coating on it. Where is this information coming from?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts