Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello y'all, So I am doing a complete kitchen and I am building my own cabinets. I am using prefinished plywood for the carcasses and finger jointed poplar for the face frames, drawers and doors. I am painting the poplar and I am trying to figure out the best application method and best paint. I am leaning toward an oil base primer and paint applied with an HVLP. Looking for some opinions to get a very smooth and durable finish.

Thanks in advance for any advice

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
I'm old school and thought we always used oil based paints in kitchen and baths, but more painted kitchens are found in high end homes today than in the last 50 years and much of it painted in a very durable water based paint. I have a hard time accepting this change but even automotive finishes today are water based.
My suggestion is to bypass the big box and talk to a true professional painting supplier before making your choice. I've seen some wild paint schemes in homes costing a million plus. Like teal colored cabinets. And you know what? It was beautiful.
I remodeled our kitchen after more than 22 years and went from stained cabinets to painted cabinets. We are very happy with the change. Painted cabinets, if done right can be awesome.

Reactions: mmosh1014

·
Registered
53 Posts
Look into general finishes pigmented poly. I used it on some cabinets and an entry bench. Bench is holding up well to the kids abuse. Cabinets look great. People ask me where I got them, surprised when I say I made them.
It comes in white or black, but there are places on line that can tint to any color. I used an hlvp from rockler to apply.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts