Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fence is about 3 feet high. About 50 feet long.

1 inch horizontal, square tube top and bottom with 1/2 square tube for spindles.
This is at the house i just moved into last year.
It was previously painted... probably several times... with the water base house paint.
It is in pretty good shape, but there are "Rust Stains" appearing in several spots.

How would you guys prep something like this for repainting.?
Thank You

·
Registered
26,187 Posts
I would just power wash the fence. Then the rusty spots sand the rust and use a rusty metal primer on the spots. Then since it has latex paint on it I would paint it again with latex. The fence would have been better done with an oil based enamel but you shouldn't put an oil based paint over latex.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would just power wash the fence. Then the rusty spots sand the rust and use a rusty metal primer on the spots. Then since it has latex paint on it I would paint it again with latex. The fence would have been better done with an oil based enamel but you shouldn't put an oil based paint over latex.
Thanks Steve -
That is sort of what i was thinking...... i will see what Kelly Moore or Sherwin Williams has to offer.
Thanks Again :smile2:

·
Registered
48 Posts
What Steve said, except that you may be able to remove the trouble spots with a 4" side grinder with a wire wheel or wire cup wheel. I would wear gauntlet style gloves...like welding gloves, face shield and eye protection underneath that too. If you can find a good metal primer like red oxide to put on the bare metal, that would be optimal. If you have rusty spots, that means that you have rust, and the oxide primer will combat the rust if you can remove the paint on top of it.

Cheers,

Brad

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What Steve said, except that you may be able to remove the trouble spots with a 4" side grinder with a wire wheel or wire cup wheel. I would wear gauntlet style gloves...like welding gloves, face shield and eye protection underneath that too. If you can find a good metal primer like red oxide to put on the bare metal, that would be optimal. If you have rusty spots, that means that you have rust, and the oxide primer will combat the rust if you can remove the paint on top of it.

Cheers,

Brad
Yeah.....Thanks Guys

What i have mostly are rust Stains/Runs where one piece meets another, the joint has been compromised over the years, water has gotten in, and rust discoloration is showing up.
Thanks Again

·
Registered
12,527 Posts
They make many different types of sanding disks for angle grinders that are perfect for your needs on that fence.

George

·
Registered
12,527 Posts

Steve, I have always heard that oil over latex is OK, but not latex over oil. Comment?

George

·
Registered
26,187 Posts
Steve, I have always heard that oil over latex is OK, but not latex over oil. Comment?

George
Oil over latex is a little no no but latex over oil is a big no no. Latex paint is much softer than oil based paint and when the substrate expands and contracts having a soft material underneath tends to make the oil base paint crack. Then with cracks in it that allows water to seep in underneath the oil based paint and cause it to lift. It's even bad to build a thick layer of oil based paint on metal. With metal the thinner you put an oil based paint on the better. The word latex refers to rubber and the original latex paint was derived from rubber. Still the man made acrylic resin today has a lot of the characteristics of rubber and would hold up better used thick.

·
Village Idiot
4,958 Posts
Id strip it off completely and repaint from the start.

You dont know how old the fence is, you dont know how well it was maintained, but you have reason to believe it wasnt maintained very well. The obvious problem spots will be easy enough to see, but you dont know if someone has painted over a deep rust patch or a failing joint. Strip it all off, either chemically or with an angle grinder and a wire brush, knock away any loose rust or scale, make whatever repairs are needed, prime with a good rust-converting primer, then paint with a quality exterior enamel. Will it be a fast job? No, probably not, but you can do it right once or wrong repeatedly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts