Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This article:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/article/tips-for-painting-mdf.aspx

recommends against water-based primers for MDF. That means no latex, right? Pretty sure I've used SW latex primer on MDF before, without problems, though. Anybody have any experience/recommendations on this? Also recommends sealing edges with drywall compound. Thoughts?

Finally, should I lightly sand the MDF before priming?

Thanks.

·
Registered
26,215 Posts
I can't open the link with my internet. I've used latex primer on MDF many times without any problem. I do a little light sanding on the face of MDF though. Sometimes the chemical in the MDF can have an adverse reaction with any finish. Before I started sanding it I've had clear lacquer that wouldn't dry using it on MDF.

·
Registered
1 Posts
never tried drywall

I have never heard any complaints from anyone regarding the use of latex primer on MDF. The usage of drywall products on the edges is something i have never heard off. worth giving a try though.. i guess...

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
Finer sanding may not allow enough texture for adhesion. I don't sand any of the furniture I build past 180 as the farther I go past there, the worse it stains up. That said, I have to admit I've never had a problem painting MDF, even though I didn't mud the edge or do any face sanding.

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
Well, in the last few years, I have found that it is easier to ..

seal, and sand MDF. I normally don't go beyond 150-180 and a thin de-waxed shellac before sanding. The shellac kinda acts as a sealer and helps the sanding. Then I've used latex over the surface after getting rid of dust. I do the edges too. I like the finish, maybe it is an over kill.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I don't think I'd use drywall mud on MDF. Talk about water!!
I've used latex base primer, oil base primer and BIN (shellac) to prime MDF and they all seem to work about the same. The edges and any machined surface will be a little rough after priming. I hit them with a 180 grit sanding sponge (dry) to knock that down and the top coat is usually fine.:smile:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've painted many a MDF cabinets and I always sand to 150 and seal the edges and nail holes with bondo. I've never used water bourne on them though.

·
Registered
26,215 Posts
The water based finish isn't going to affect MDF that much. You could leave a sheet of it out in the rain once and still be able to use it. It would just fuzz it up a little. I used to work for a company that routinely bought MDF that had gotten wet. We just called it fuzzyboard. It was usually covered with plastic laminate so the fuzz wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Drywall mud works great for mdf I only use it on the edges and screw/nail holes. Light sand to smooth out and prime and paint. I have used latex without problems

1 - 11 of 11 Posts