1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
where's my table saw?
31,237 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice work, well done indeed. How did you finish it?

The finish is one coat primer, three thin coats of General Finishes Milk Paint, followed by three coats of General Finishes Satin PolyAcrylic Water Base Top Coat. I sanded between coats with 320 sandpaper (220 after the primer coat). I used a foam brush for the application. I also painted some of the components separately for easier application. I completely finished the plywood backer before attaching (taping of the areas that did not need paint). For the molding of the panels, I coated with two coats of paint before cutting and attaching.

·
where's my table saw?
31,237 Posts
construction method

I am assuming that you started with a full size backer of plywood and added the frames to that to make it appear as raised panels...right?
That's a great way to build it and saves lots of groove makin' and tongues on the separate panels. Nice Work! :thumbsup:
How did you conceal the edge of the plywood on the ends, just a full length cap? and if so was it a simple butt joint or mitered?
Any build in progress photos?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am assuming that you started with a full size backer of plywood and added the frames to that to make it appear as raised panels...right?
That's a great way to build it and saves lots of groove makin' and tongues on the separate panels. Nice Work! :thumbsup:
How did you conceal the edge of the plywood on the ends, just a full length cap? and if so was it a simple butt joint or mitered?
Any build in progress photos?

I do have some pictures of the build I will post when I get home. I built the frames first with pocket screws, and then I attached the plywood to the frames. The top panel board of the rails has another piece of would laminated to conceal the plywood which butts up to the top of the rail. The headboard and footboard panels set inside the main structural part (post and horizontal pieces). Thus the plywood edges concealed. The main structure of the headboard and footboard are constructed with mortise and tenon. Due to the height of the rail, the tails are attached using two sets of these brackets: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5783&site=ROCKLER

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.