Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Finally finished my outdoor foot rest/storage box. Outdoor plywood and pine trim.

To save costs I bought Lowe's best outdoor paint. Can says primer and paint right in front. Good, I save a step.

After I apply the first coat I see what the can says about drying time. 4 hours, fine.

Problem is that it also says that for unfinished wood (which is what I had) I need a primer and THEN two coast of paint.

So, what do I do now?

Thanks

·
Registered
28,405 Posts
You don't have to use a primer with the paint. It's just the primer has more solids and will cover better so if you use a primer it doesn't take as many coats. An extra coat or two of the paint will achieve the same thing.

You can use either the latex primer or oil based primer with latex paint. You just can't paint latex paint over the top of oil based paint. When that is necessary you scuff sand the oil based paint and apply an oil base primer then you can put latex paint on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.