Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to build a small 8x8 climate controlled paint room for my mom and me to use. we don't use HVLP or anything just brush on and spray cans of urethane and such. what I am wanting to do is make it insulated and all that so we can paint in high humidity weather and such where temp and weather conditions wont be an issue. would you mind sharing your input and maybe showing some pictures of ur setup

·
Registered
26,966 Posts
I am wanting to build a small 8x8 climate controlled paint room for my mom and me to use. we don't use HVLP or anything just brush on and spray cans of urethane and such. what I am wanting to do is make it insulated and all that so we can paint in high humidity weather and such where temp and weather conditions wont be an issue. would you mind sharing your input and maybe showing some pictures of ur setup
The problem you will have is the paint you are using is flammable. If you enclose it in you booth with a de-humidifier you must shut the unit off before spraying the paint. Anything that has a standard electric motor makes a spark inside and it will set off the paint. Even if you brush the paint you will need ventilation unless you use a air supplied respirator to be able to stay in the booth with it. Then there is the issue of heat in winter. You could buy a nice new car for what a heater for flammable conditions would cost. What you are proposing isn't easy and is a problem costly to solve. I finish professionally and some days I find something else to do because of the weather.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Well you have a few things to think about.....to control the humidity you'll need some sort of hvac....whether its a window ac or a small heater.... But you also need to deal with the fumes......so you'll need some sort of air exchange go keep the air safe.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a window unit here. would a bathroom exhaust fan or 2 be sufficient? I had already thought of the exhaust issue but the electric motors haven't crossed my mind.

·
Registered
24 Posts
to have air coming in you would have to have make up air so suction and negative pressure wouldnt be an issue i would think.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
to have air coming in you would have to have make up air so suction and negative pressure wouldnt be an issue i would think.
+1. :yes: You would have to have a filtered air flow in at least equal to what you exhaust (outdoors). With the parameters you are looking for, you might be better off with an approved booth that's equipped to be functional for your needs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts