Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m seeking recommendations about paint to use on wooden toys which I’ll be giving away on a small scale (so I’m not worrying about the CPSIA, though I am still basically concerned about safety). I definitely want the paint I use to be AP certified as non-toxic. I’d also like the colors to be rich and saturated, but not opaque; I want the wood grain to show through. And I’d like to be able to get primary colors and then mix my own, so smooth mixing ability matters to me. Any suggestions? What have you used? Acrylic? Tempera? Watercolor? Full-strength or diluted? Are there any particular brands of paint that you would recommend (or recommend avoiding)?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
this is just me
i would not use any paint or stain if the toys are going to kids that would put them in thier mouth
here is an idea.... go on line and search organic pigment powder ( pig dust ) mix it with a vegitable oil and use it as a stain

·
Registered
15 Posts
this is just me
i would not use any paint or stain if the toys are going to kids that would put them in thier mouth
here is an idea.... go on line and search organic pigment powder ( pig dust ) mix it with a vegitable oil and use it as a stain
doesnt veg oil go bad ?? got some on a raw picnic table and it started smelling in a few months

·
Banned
6,839 Posts
Mineral oil is ok for that use but not sure about the safety factor for children. Vegetable oil is a bad idea it does go bad that's why they say not to use it on cutting boards.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
I’m seeking recommendations about paint to use on wooden toys which I’ll be giving away on a small scale (so I’m not worrying about the CPSIA, though I am still basically concerned about safety). I definitely want the paint I use to be AP certified as non-toxic. I’d also like the colors to be rich and saturated, but not opaque; I want the wood grain to show through. And I’d like to be able to get primary colors and then mix my own, so smooth mixing ability matters to me. Any suggestions? What have you used? Acrylic? Tempera? Watercolor? Full-strength or diluted? Are there any particular brands of paint that you would recommend (or recommend avoiding)?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Most paints when cured are kid safe. For ease of mixing you could use waterbased acrylics.

·
journeyman carpenter
333 Posts
watercolor & milk paint

i have used stockmar watercolors for toys and like it a lot. it does let the grain show through and is easy to mix your own color using just the primaries. also i have used milk paint which is easy to use but you don't see the grain as well.

these were done with the watercolors:
IMG_1245.jpg

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mineral oil is ok for that use but not sure about the safety factor for children. .
Mineral oil is non toxic. It used to be given to kids for constipation, though that’s not done any more because if they breathe in the liquid it’s bad for the lungs, not because the dried stuff is bad. Drinking a whole bunch from the bottle won't kill a kid but will cause bad GI upset. The small amount used as a finish in inconsequential.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts