Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a high school IT teacher without the necessary equipment to apply finish by spraying, I am bound to simply using the brush application. Using mostly polyurethane, I have seen in another district that they used rubber jar sealers that brush handles fit into and then could seal the brush into a common mason jar. This sealed up the brush and the polyurethane and it sealed up the brush, thus leaving a lot less cleanup and fewer brushes that are used at my expense. I cannot, however, find these "brush/jar/sealers" in any retail store or website. I know that I can wrap the brushes up, but this seemed less handy and clean. Does anyone know this product that I am referring to and any idea where it can be found?

·
Registered
26,862 Posts
As a high school IT teacher without the necessary equipment to apply finish by spraying, I am bound to simply using the brush application. Using mostly polyurethane, I have seen in another district that they used rubber jar sealers that brush handles fit into and then could seal the brush into a common mason jar. This sealed up the brush and the polyurethane and it sealed up the brush, thus leaving a lot less cleanup and fewer brushes that are used at my expense. I cannot, however, find these "brush/jar/sealers" in any retail store or website. I know that I can wrap the brushes up, but this seemed less handy and clean. Does anyone know this product that I am referring to and any idea where it can be found?
Personally I think it's a bad idea. When polyurethane sits it separates with the polymers going to the bottom and the solvents going to the top. It needs to be stirred prior to use and if you have the brush already in it there will be an imbalance of the mixture. Also if it is a satin poly the flattening agents will also be on the bottom so you are likely to be finishing dead flat at first and gradually get shiner as the material is used.

I would prefer to clean the brushes after each days use however if you kept a separate jar with just a solvent in it to keep the brushes it should work as long as the brushes were thoroughly cleaned at the end of the week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly what I was talking about… minus the rubber seal, but nevertheless, same principle. Thanks!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Have you tried suspending a brush or several brushes in a pail / container with just enough water in the bottom to retain 100 percent relative humidity in the container when the lid is closed but not necessarily sealed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts