Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used oxalic acid to bleach an end table (mystery wood veneer over particle board). It bleached well and got very light and erased the tannins (main goal). After, I neutralized with baking soda and rinsed well.
As soon as I placed the baking soda and water on the wood, it almost immediately turned dark and red. As I wiped it away, the liquid was dark red.
The table is now a reddish color as if I had stained it, but the original stain was fairly light AND I had sanded it all off before using the oxalic acid.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
27,582 Posts
Well, I've never used baking soda before on oxalic acid. I've just thoroughly rinsed it with water and let dry. If it's veneered over particle board I think I would wait a week or two before doing anything to it involving water. You may get the veneer to coming off and the particle board to swell up to where there is no fix. I think I would try the oxalic acid again to get the red out.

Depending on the color you are going to stain the table you can counteract the table being stained red with a green dye. It will without darkening it very much turn the red color brown. This may be a better solution since you wouldn't have to expose the table to any more water. I use this dye. Mohawk Ultra Penetrating Stain

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
interesting process. it seems that many veneers were applied with hyde glue - which is water sensitive - aren't you concerned about the adhesive failing under the veneer?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts