Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am staining a cherry table and tried to match it to a existing piece. I used a coat of minwax conditioner before applying 2 coats of Coronada oil based stain. I seem to have overapplied the 2nd coat of stain because there is a sheen to the wood and slightly tacky in a few spots after 2 days of dry time. Will the stain eventually dry and lose the sheen or is there something i should do? Planning to finish with Modern Masters poly. Appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I am no expert but it sounds like you have some dried stain that didn't soak into the wood. If it were me, I'd try taking some 0000 steel wool to it and see if that removes that top layer. Maybe you want to over apply the same stain to a piece of scrap and take some steel wool to that before you do any damage to your project. Let me repeat... I am no expert on finishing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I am going to try both ideas on some scrap pieces. The wood is now dry to the touch, but still has some shine. What would happen if i applied poly to the piece without fixing the shine problem?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts