Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just finished pair of Adirondack chairs in white oak. I love the chairs and really would prefer to put them in the living room and not the deck. What is the best sealer/finish to put on to slow the aging process. I'd like to enjoy them the way they are for a while.

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
Best finish could be a few different ways depending on your taste in the outcome. If you want a more natural appearance then I would use an exterior tung oil finish. If you want the finish to look more like interior furniture then a film coating would be better. Then I would recommend a spar varnish. The Helmsman spar varnish will last about 5 years if you take care of it and give it a recoat when the finish starts looking a little dry. A better spar would be Epifanes Wood Finish. It is formulated to use for a deck of a boat.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
For outdoor finishes, a straight pure Tung Oil, or Penofin would be an easy maintenance finish. Using a film finish of any kind may look good for a while, but will fail in time depending on conditions. Maintenance on a film finish is a PITA.

There are much better spar type varnishes than Helmsman, and can get very pricey as they recommend 5-7 coats. That's a lot to sand when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
>>>> There are much better spar type varnishes than Helmsman

So true. For one, a poly or a urethane should be avoided for applications where the item will be exposed to sunlight for long periods. The UV in sunlight will rapidly deteriorate a poly. It will rather quickly become more cloudy and yellow and then begin to crack and peel. A non-poly exterior varnish should be used for outdoor applications. The best exterior clear finishes are non-poly marine varnish. It's best to go to a real marine supply store and look for brands like Wolsey, Interlux, Man 'O War and, best of all, Epifanes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts