Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks!

I have recently started upgrading my deck area behind my house.

My deck railing has a treated 5/4 x 6" deck board as a top. When we built 10 years age, this got primed and painted white. I want to clean it up and make it look nicer... a lot nicer...

If I belt sand it down and smooth it out, I'm left with a few knots and otherwise spots that need some filling. What type of filler will work best in this outdoor environment? I will reprime and repaint.

Bondo? (I do auto repair and paint...)

While I have to match the existing flat off-white paint, any suggestions for a best primer and paint here?

Thanks,

Brad

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
Bondo works pretty good but is not very permanent. J-B Weld makes a wood putty called J-B Wood Restore Epoxy Putty that would last longer. As far as primer I would use Exterior oil-based wood primer from Sherwin Williams and topcoat with Duration latex paint.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok... stopped at Lowe's and the guy there suggested Durham's "Rock Hard" water putty. Anybody use this before?

They did not have any JB Weld based repair putty...

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
I've never used the Durhams but since it is a water based putty I'm sure it would work fine for damaged places however I doubt if it would adhere very well to knots. This is why I recommended an epoxy type filler. You might search for different one that is available in your area. I would use bondo on knots before I would attempt the Durhams. At least bondo is fiberglass.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Bondo itself is a polyester filler not fiberglass. 3M also makes Bondoglass which is a polyester filler with fiberglass reinforcement and they also make one with long hair fiberglass filler. Bondo-glass can usually be purchased in marine supply stores and some auto parts stores. Good stuff. They are specificall designed for fiberglass and metal repairs but work well with wood also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sooo.... the Durhams is more of a crack filler/leveler type product? As long as I have something to bite and support it, it's OK?
Where a knot is missing and I have a hole, the thought is that the Durhams does not have the body to support itsself, thus the need for a fiberglass type reinforced product?

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Sooo.... the Durhams is more of a crack filler/leveler type product? As long as I have something to bite and support it, it's OK?
Where a knot is missing and I have a hole, the thought is that the Durhams does not have the body to support itsself, thus the need for a fiberglass type reinforced product?
I am not familiar with Durhams so I can't comment on it.
Depending on the size of the hole, would depend on whether I would get the Bondo with the glass filler or not. Epoxy will work just as good if not better than the above. If cost is not a factor, I would go with the epoxy.
I use powdered dry pigment colors and mix with the epoxy to get a good color match because epoxy and Bondo will not accept stain when cured.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I assume you want to paint it again afterwards??
I would prefer epoxy over bondo because metal moves very little with temperature changes. Wood on the other hand moves a lot more. You might run into the risk of getting cracks in the bondo. Epoxy is a little more "flexible"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do plan to repaint.
I have worked quite a bit with both epoxy and bondo (just not on wood) and I know epoxy is a superior product... I just haven't been able to find anything locally...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts