Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally finished my outdoor swing and A-frame. The frame is made of PT (4"x4" and 4"x6"). The swing is made of cedar.
I had a heck of a time figuring out the miter cuts for the frame, until I finally realized, no matter what angle you make the top miter, the bottom miter must add up to 90 degrees. DUH!!!!!

Attachments

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Nice looking swing, good job. Have you pegged it into the ground?

I might suggest due to the wide stance on the legs and the brace being as high as it is you may want to make sure it is pegged to the ground to make sure your legs do not spread and possibly break. I'm not familiar with your timbers and their strength, it may not be an issue at all.

regards

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave, I never thought about that, but I did notice that the frame is not as sturdy as I thought it would be. Structurally I think it's ok, as I cut notches in the miters so the weight of the beam would rest against the notch to bear the weight, instead of just the bolts.

Any suggestions on how to peg the frame to the ground?

Jim

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
On each of your legs you could use 16 mm steel rod, that must be about 3/4" or maybe a little less.

assuming your ground is hard clay 8"-12" penetration should be fine and just cut it off level with your legs where you hit it through a predrilled hole

Musical instrument accessory Line Parallel

If you dont want to drill through your legs you could screw a saddle on the side

another option is to use what in Australia is called a 'star picket' which is a three finned stake often with holes in one fin. you can hit that in next to the leg and secure it using a roofing screw.

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
One other element which may be needed is some side bracing as you will see drawn in red near the top of the legs to the main beam

Swing Outdoor play equipment Backyard Furniture Grass

that will make a great difference to the stability

Hope that helps

Dont let these suggestions take away from what you have accomplished. it is a nice looking swing and seat and joints look great. You have given me some inspiration, I might do a similar thing

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
cool

I look forward to seeing the pics when done

Your bracing could be steel or timber - my preference would be timber but either could look good and would do the job fine

·
Registered
104 Posts
The swing set we assembled for my niece used eye bolt with guide wires that staked to the ground with landscaper stakes or tent pegs. No structural stability but it does keep it from tipping over if the kids get over zealous swinging. I'm in a fairly light soil so I used 10" landscape stakes. Got them at my local hardware store.

Great job on the swing! :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts