Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm thinking about making a few chairs for my deck as a winter project. What would be a good wood to use beside cypress, redwood and don't say teak
BTW no PT.
What kind of finish will I need to apply to the chairs?

TIA

Richard

·
Woodworker and Contractor
97 Posts
really depends on the chair design cypress is a good outdoor wood if it nice heart wood and it's cheaper then redwood. these both would be good choice for say an adirondack style chair:thumbsup:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Cypress or Cedar is what I hear of mostly...

I would think you could get exotic too with Teak or Mahogany...

Redwood, I think, would be on the softer side.

I'm going to try for Cypress... if I can't get/use that, Cedar.

I started making Templates a few months ago... have gotten sidetracked... have to get on track! :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would be adirondack style chair. Would you apply a finish of just leave it alone and let it turn gray?

really depends on the chair design cypress is a good outdoor wood if it nice heart wood and it's cheaper then redwood. these both would be good choice for say an adirondack style chair:thumbsup:

·
Woodworker and Contractor
97 Posts
I'd put some thing on if I had just spent all that time making them:laughing: If you like the silver look I think Thomsons has a waterprotector that color now or just wait till they are that color them apply something. I think any outdoor furniture oil like teak oil would do the trick and be easy to reapply:thumbsup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I build outdoor furniture.
I use Red/White/Live/Water/Chestnut/Black Oak.
For a topcoat I use McKloskies outdoor deck preservative from Wallyworld, $16 gl.

My Barnwood Gnarly grade sells better than the "normal" grades.

jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts