Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had good success finishing IPE? I have some deck chairs I finished with a spar varnish and they are peeling. Any ideas?

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
I thought IPE had alot of oil in it? If so that doesn't mis well with a urethane or poly type sealer that won't let it breathe.
Take that with a grain of salt just giving you somethoing to research for lack of any other answers.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Has anyone had good success finishing IPE? I have some deck chairs I finished with a spar varnish and they are peeling. Any ideas?

Ipe isn't usually finished at all. It doesn't need a finish. You could use Messmers Deck Finish, which may help retain some of the color. If anything a very light (thinned) pure oil like for teak could also be used. Ipe isn't very porous.

·
Registered
419 Posts
IPE rule of engagement

Once the IPE is cut to size and installed, walk away.

Ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try "Seasonite"

Scott,

I've built a number of Ipe decks, and always used Seasonite. It's a sealer and helps keep the color. But, like all these outdoor wood sealers, you'll need to renew it yearly. It was recommended by the lumber yard I buy the wood from. It's not sticky or gummy, and pretty much soaks in. I don't have a jug in front of me so I can't tell you who makes it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts