Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings and thank you in advance for any insight and knowledge you have to offer. ?

We are building a roof in South Florida. The posts are marine-grade 8 x 8, and the rafters are 2x 6 and 2 x 8 PT. We are going to put Cypress t&g on top of the rafters before roof decking, so that we can have exposed beams. It will have a standing seam metal roof when done.

All of the lumber has dried out already. And we are ready to finish the wood.

1) what suggestions would you have to finish the t&g? We want it to be natural, but also very protected. With the least amount of maintenance, as it will be a challenge once it is mounted. We have heard some say Spar urethane will do the job and we should not have to do anything else to it as it will be protected. What are your thoughts?

2) for the posts and rafters, we were going to stain with an outdoor stain from Sherwin-Williams that is semi-transparent and matches the deck that is composite. Could we put Spar urethane on top of that stain for lasting protection? Or what other suggestions would you propose?

We are looking for both longevity of protection and least amount of reapplication down the road.

Thank you so much for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
26,214 Posts
For what you are doing I would just use the same deck finish you are going to use on the rest of it. If you use any kind of film finish no matter how good it is it will eventually peal and then you would have to strip it and that would be a real pain. Just be sure to treat both sides of the cedar so you don't create any warpage issues.

·
Registered
12,543 Posts
I would not use any finish on your cypress. Forty years ago I built my patio framework our of cypress except for a brick knee wall. At that time the patio has a translucent, corrugated roof and screen wire sides. Later the roof was changed to a insulated metal roof and the sides to single pane windows.

That cypress has never had any finish. Over the years it gradually turns a very nice silver color. It takes a long time for the color change.

I hauled that cypress from a mill about 40 miles away in a 3/4 ton GMC Surbaban. $150.00 worth of cypress was all that truck could haul with about 4' of much of it hanging out the back. I had 4x4, 2x4, 2x6 and 1x12 and some other. All rough cut.

George

1 - 3 of 3 Posts