Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Years ago I came across a couple of Outhouse roofs that I was planning on using on a tree house for my grandson. My daughter could not get past the ‘Outhouse’ part so it never happened.
I moved my radial arm saw outside last year to make room for a planer and I’m just now thinking of using the outhouse roof for a cover.

I temporary stood it up in place using some materials and clamps just to see if it will work and what it will look like.

I was planning on using steel unistrut fastened to the base of the saw so I can move it around on its wheels, but after looking at it I think I’m going to use a 4x6 plywood with 2x4s for the back and sides.

I just realized that I need a couple of braces on top for the cantilever after actually looking at the drawing. :blush:

I also forgot to put in the 2" castor wheels. Oh well

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Now that is a great idea!

The only thing I'd suggest is to add some kind of waterproof curtain around the sides and front (well under the roof "eave") to protect the saw from wind driven rain/snow/sprinklers.

When the saw is in use the curtain could be removed or tied back.

Fascinating concept.

Keep us posted.

Reactions: Sleeper

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
toolguy1000 said:
doesn't it ever rain in your location?
Beat me to it!

Great minds....

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m in the desert and we only get rain a few months a year. Most of the time it only drizzles or at least in the past 7 years. Once we had a down fall in the middle of the summer that flooded the streets, but it only lasted about an hour. When it rains in the winter it’s usually only a day or two a couple of times a month.
It’s very windy here most of the year and sometimes we get wind blown rain that comes in a a 45 deg angle. I’m thinking of installing a shower curtain for those days.

Reactions: jharris2

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
A local lumber yard has a RAS under a shed roof - and this is in PA where it rains, snows, etc. Of course, it's an ancient DeWalt that's probably been there 50 years and will be there 100 more.

Bill

·
John
3,028 Posts
Nice concept Johnny. I know it wouldn't work out here, when we get rain it comes down pretty much horizontally on a 40 mph wind. Anyway, looking at your drawing, I'm thinking you will something a little more substantially than 2" casters. I also think you would need some crossmembers across the back at the top and bottom anyway. Unless you are attaching it to the building. Not clear on that.
Good Luck:smile:

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice concept Johnny. I know it wouldn't work out here, when we get rain it comes down pretty much horizontally on a 40 mph wind. Anyway, looking at your drawing, I'm thinking you will something a little more substantially than 2" casters. I also think you would need some crossmembers across the back at the top and bottom anyway. Unless you are attaching it to the building. Not clear on that.
Good Luck:smile:
Thanks for the advice. I drew it up rather quickly in Sketchup just to see how it would work and missed a few supports. This morning when I woke up it hit me that I also needed some corner supports on the bottom back corners to keep it square when I’m moving it around..

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Project canceled due to neighborhood opposition.

Just had a knock at the door with some Bad news! :eek:
I left my roof cover up over night on the temporary supports and the neighbors saw it. I guess it was top of discussion today and two of the neighbors asked to please reconsider because they could see it from their houses and did not want to look at that eyesore every time they came outside. :huh:

OK I guess I see things differently then everybody else and don’t know what the big deal is with the plastic outhouse roof. I might be doing some pretty crappy work under it, but it’s not like its going to smell or anything. :no:

This is one reason why I don’t like neighborhoods and I really need to be out in the sticks someplace. They can’t force me to remove it as long as it’s on wheels and not part of a structure, but I need to keep the peace and don’t want feuding neighbors. :wacko:

Another neighbor said I may be a redneck :oops:

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was looking at the photo and thinking the shape of the roof would fit nicely as a rain cover if I dropped it down on the table when not using it and then it will only be seen on my side of the wall. I just don’t know how to raise it up when I need it. Maybe some sort of pulley system that would lift all 4 corners at the same time.

Anyway I’m just not sure if it will be worth the trouble. I probably should just replace the table on the RAS and sell it if I can. Maybe I can sell the outhouse roofs as well. :smile:

·
where's my table saw?
27,875 Posts

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Sleeper said:
Just had a knock at the door with some Bad news! :eek:

I left my roof cover up over night on the temporary supports and the neighbors saw it. I guess it was top of discussion today and two of the neighbors asked to please reconsider because they could see it from their houses and did not want to look at that eyesore every time they came outside. :huh:
*** Huh is right.

Last time I checked lung, heart and various other organ functions are voluntary.

Eye movement is strictly voluntary unless in the REM sleep cycle.

If I see something I consider distasteful I avert my eyes.

Not hard to do.

Tell your busybody neighborhood association wannabe be dictators that if they'll assume your mortgage you'll kiss' em on both cheeks weekly.

Contract clause:

They have to pay you for the pre-smack antiseptic swabs

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Tell your busybody neighborhood association wannabe be dictators that if they'll assume your mortgage you'll kiss' em on both cheeks weekly.
LOL,
Overall the neighborhood is pretty good even though everyone knows each others business. They can be ruthless if they don’t like you and even managed to get one neighbor fired from their job causing them to end up losing their home.

Paybacks were hell when the new owners moved in and immediately started trouble with loud music coming from the house. I hated the loud music myself, but at the time I felt it was good payback for those responsible. The loud people didn’t last very long and we finally got some good people in.

Reactions: jharris2

·
Banned
310 Posts
Great idea for you,wouldn't work on the BC "wet" coast it would be an ambient moisture rust pile in one winter. The complaining neighbours would love Vancouver Island, living on the west coast most paces look like "tarp" city.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great idea for you,wouldn't work on the BC "wet" coast it would be an ambient moisture rust pile in one winter. The complaining neighbours would love Vancouver Island, living on the west coast most paces look like "tarp" city.
Rust is one of the nice things about the desert, not much of it. Things do rust a little but not enough that a little WD40 can’t prevent although an outdoor table saw might be another story.
I hate to lose a tool, but I really do have to start trimming down my possessions. Selling things out of the paper or Craigslist is a risky business these days.

·
where's my table saw?
27,875 Posts
selling the old RAS...

You are not likely to get much for it and if you put a decent blade on it that's money gone. If you have a use for it then I'd keep it. Mine is often used as a table temporarily anyway, so you could look at it that way. It's the best way to crosscut long boards unless you have a chop or miter saw on a stand with extensions.... another space grabber.

If you are wary about selling it on CL then I understand that also. It would be best to leave it outside covered up until the buyer shows up.
.... if there are any these days for the old RAS in your area. Check out CL before posting and see if the market is flooded with them. I know there are many for sale here.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts